Just after midnight on Tuesday, Tehran’s Revolutionary tribunal announced that they had arrested Saeed Mortazavi, a close aide of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad amid a growing power struggle in Iran.
Four months before the presidential election the rift between Ahmadinejad and the parliament and the judiciary, who mostly support the supreme leader, Ayatollah Khamenei, has reached its climax.
Why is this arrest so important?
In the absence of an official announcement, Iranian news agencies have speculated that Mortazavi’s arrest was “possibly” connected with his alleged role in the torture and deaths of detainees in a notorious detention centre on Tehran’s outskirts after the controversial 2009 election.
However, analysts believe that the timing of this arrest makes it so significant.
It came just a day after the Iranian parliament witnessed an unprecedented public feud between the head of government and the parliament’s speaker.
What happened in the Parliament?
In a bitter exchange of words, Ahmadinejad accused the parliament speaker’s family of corruption.
The session was about the impeachment of Iran’s Labour minister, but Ahmadinejad decided to go on the attack against Ali Larijani. He astonished lawmakers by playing a recorded conversation between Mottazavi and the brother of the speaker that he alleged implicated the whole family in corruption.
The main reason for the impeachment of the labour minister was his refusal to dismiss Mortazavi from the head of Iran’s Social Security Organisation, despite repeated calls by parliament.
Ahmadinejad was adamantly opposed to demands for Mortazavi’s dismissal.
What comes next?
The Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Khamenei has previously intervened in the feud. In October, he warned that anyone who tried to publicly create divisions before the presidential elections, would “betray” the country.
Nonetheless, Ahmadinejad remains to be defiant. Correspondents believe that Mortazavi’s arrest which was very likely approved by the Supreme Leader, could be interpreted as a change of strategy by Ayatollah Khamenei.
Ahmadinejad has harshly criticised the judiciary’s decision and has pledged “to investigate” when he returns from his visit to Egypt.
By: Mohammad Mohammadi
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 3Rival warnings echo growing US-Russia gulf over Ukraine
- 4Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 14:44 CET Israeli forces kill Palestinian along Gazan border – Palestinian…
- 14:35 CET Iraqi forces battle Islamic State in towns north of Baghdad
- 14:29 CET Tunisians vote for first freely elected president
- 14:28 CET Fighters from Syrian al Qaeda wing close in on Shi’ite village -…
- 14:14 CET Over 25 killed in attack on Nigerian fishing community
- 14:08 CET Putin says Russia not isolated over Ukraine, blames West for…
- 13:43 CET Journalists remember 32 colleagues slain in the Philippines
- 13:11 CET U.N. worker leaves French hospital after Ebola recovery