The leader of Syria’s National Coalition has said they are ready to accept dialogue with the country’s vice president, Farouk al-Shara.
But Moaz Al Khatib stressed the departure of Bashar al-Assad is a necessary precondition to any talks taking place.
Al Khatib said during a television interview: “Since the beginning of the conflict, Farouk al-Shara has known that things weren’t going well. Just because he is part of the regime does not mean that we cannot talk to him. I call on the regime to allow Shara to talk to us. Where is the problem in that?”
At the same time footage posted on a social media website is said to show Syrian government forces pounding neighbourhoods across the capital, Damascus.
Plumes of smoke rise into the air above Kafar Batna. It is claimed footage from the streets below shows the aftermath of a direct hit on a hospital.
Wires > News
- 12:16 CET Bombs in Baghdad kill nine, wound 26 – sources
- 12:15 CET Japan to support Mekong countries with 750 billion yen over three…
- 12:13 CET Kerry says getting closer to an understanding on Syria ceasefire
- 12:11 CET Denmark extends controls on German border until June 2
- 12:07 CET Clinton, looking ahead to U.S. general election, begins Appalachia…
- 12:05 CET Indiana to test Donald Trump’s staying power with evangelicals
- 11:40 CET Hundreds promoting independence detained in Indonesia’s Papua
- 08:32 CET Drones, Turkish artillery hit Islamic State in Syria, 34 dead -…