The leader of Syria’s National Coalition has said they are ready to accept dialogue with the country’s vice president, Farouk al-Shara.
But Moaz Al Khatib stressed the departure of Bashar al-Assad is a necessary precondition to any talks taking place.
Al Khatib said during a television interview: “Since the beginning of the conflict, Farouk al-Shara has known that things weren’t going well. Just because he is part of the regime does not mean that we cannot talk to him. I call on the regime to allow Shara to talk to us. Where is the problem in that?”
At the same time footage posted on a social media website is said to show Syrian government forces pounding neighbourhoods across the capital, Damascus.
Plumes of smoke rise into the air above Kafar Batna. It is claimed footage from the streets below shows the aftermath of a direct hit on a hospital.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 4Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 5Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Latest world news
ISIL claims responsibility for deadly Bangladesh siege and gun attack – Amaq
Colosseum makeover gets the thumbs up from Italian PM Renzi
Israeli-Palestinian conflict ‘perpetual’ unless positive steps taken – Quartet
EU extends sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
Brexit sparks a political drama in the UK likened to the House of Cards
Wires > News
- 22:30 CET Gunmen take hostages at cafe in Dhaka’s diplomatic quarter
- 22:07 CET U.S. says kills up to 116 civilians in strikes outside war zones
- 21:55 CET Gingrich, Christie lead Trump field of U.S. vice presidential…
- 21:07 CET U.N. rights investigator urges Myanmar to crack down on religious…
- 20:44 CET U.S. attorney general to accept FBI findings in Clinton email probe
- 20:20 CET Putin hints Russia will react if Finland joins NATO
- 19:10 CET Italy’s biggest Chinese community clashes with police near Florence
- 19:08 CET Two suspects in Istanbul attack identified as Russian – Turkish…