The leader of Syria’s National Coalition has said they are ready to accept dialogue with the country’s vice president, Farouk al-Shara.
But Moaz Al Khatib stressed the departure of Bashar al-Assad is a necessary precondition to any talks taking place.
Al Khatib said during a television interview: “Since the beginning of the conflict, Farouk al-Shara has known that things weren’t going well. Just because he is part of the regime does not mean that we cannot talk to him. I call on the regime to allow Shara to talk to us. Where is the problem in that?”
At the same time footage posted on a social media website is said to show Syrian government forces pounding neighbourhoods across the capital, Damascus.
Plumes of smoke rise into the air above Kafar Batna. It is claimed footage from the streets below shows the aftermath of a direct hit on a hospital.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
US investigates dentist over killing of Cecil the Lion
At least 20 pilgrims dead after truck crashes into crowd in Mexico
Greenpeace protest halts icebreaker in Oregon
Chinese artist and activist denied six-month visa to Britain
Myanmar: Over 7,000 prisoners released in mass pardon
Wires > News
- 09:04 CET Philippines’ Aquino endorses interior minister as successor
- 08:53 CET Return of Thai protest leader raises fears for fragile calm
- 08:38 CET Myanmar president not ruling out second term
- 08:36 CET Palestinian toddler killed in suspected Jewish extremist attack
- 06:03 CET Killing of Cecil the lion triggers probe by U.S. agency – source
- 06:00 CET Chinese professor accused of spying by U.S. released on bail
- 05:41 CET Plane debris on remote island points to breakthrough in MH370…
- 03:35 CET Taiwan students storm education ministry compound in textbook…