The leader of Syria’s National Coalition has said they are ready to accept dialogue with the country’s vice president, Farouk al-Shara.
But Moaz Al Khatib stressed the departure of Bashar al-Assad is a necessary precondition to any talks taking place.
Al Khatib said during a television interview: “Since the beginning of the conflict, Farouk al-Shara has known that things weren’t going well. Just because he is part of the regime does not mean that we cannot talk to him. I call on the regime to allow Shara to talk to us. Where is the problem in that?”
At the same time footage posted on a social media website is said to show Syrian government forces pounding neighbourhoods across the capital, Damascus.
Plumes of smoke rise into the air above Kafar Batna. It is claimed footage from the streets below shows the aftermath of a direct hit on a hospital.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 2Death of a politician raises tension in Ukraine
- 3Egypt: Mursi espionage trial adjourned and media ban imposed
- 4Crimean authorities move against Tatars and their leader
- 5Ukrainian president calls for resumption of “anti-terrorist” operations in east
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 08:07 CET Serendipity aids Egypt in struggle to recover stolen heritage
- 08:06 CET Import tariffs strain rich-poor gap in ‘madly expensive’ Luanda
- 07:57 CET China military says faces ‘complex’ task keeping secrets
- 07:37 CET Russia holds snap military drills in Caspian Sea – report
- 07:17 CET Thai court gives PM more time in abuse of power case
- 05:58 CET Iran asks U.N. to act on U.S. ban on new ambassador
- 05:57 CET Obama reassures Japan, other allies on China ahead of visit
- 05:54 CET Vietnam sentences American to death over heroin – newspapers