The leader of Syria’s National Coalition has said they are ready to accept dialogue with the country’s vice president, Farouk al-Shara.
But Moaz Al Khatib stressed the departure of Bashar al-Assad is a necessary precondition to any talks taking place.
Al Khatib said during a television interview: “Since the beginning of the conflict, Farouk al-Shara has known that things weren’t going well. Just because he is part of the regime does not mean that we cannot talk to him. I call on the regime to allow Shara to talk to us. Where is the problem in that?”
At the same time footage posted on a social media website is said to show Syrian government forces pounding neighbourhoods across the capital, Damascus.
Plumes of smoke rise into the air above Kafar Batna. It is claimed footage from the streets below shows the aftermath of a direct hit on a hospital.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 12:01 CET French fuel blockade lifted, Hollande says won’t let protesters…
- 11:59 CET U.N. urges Greece to improve poor living conditions for refugees
- 11:57 CET Philippine arrests 10 Chinese fishermen in latest sea spat
- 11:56 CET U.S. is ‘two-faced’ if it does not see Syrian Kurdish YPG as…
- 11:39 CET Nigeria militants blow up gas, oil pipelines – community leader
- 11:02 CET French vessel containing black box probes arrives to EgyptAir…
- 10:57 CET Czech government parties look to calm spat over failed smoking ban…
- 10:55 CET Dalai Lama urges Tibetan unity as political leader sworn in