Twin rallies have been held in Caracas and Havana to mark the anniversary of the failed 1992 coup by Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.
Although it ended in disaster it cemented Chavez’s revolutionary image, and was the first step towards him being elected in 1998.
Vice-President Nicolas Maduro assured the tens of thousands of people in Caracas that Hugo Chavez, in a Cuban hospital since December 10, was on the mend and that the opposition would “never” run the country again.
Maduro insisted that, unlike the political elite which escaped sanction for years of corruption and criminal activity Chavez had admitted his faults and served his time.
On the other side of town opposition supporters heard their leader Henrique Capriles say that February 4 was a day to remember, not to celebrate.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:25 CET ECB worried by Slovene lawmakers’ push for more central bank…
- 13:03 CET Norway’s minority government tries to shore up fragile alliance
- 13:00 CET Three dead as Kiev accuses Ukraine rebels of shelling
- 12:50 CET U.N.-Cambodia tribunal charges two more ex-Khmer Rouge cadres
- 12:45 CET Magnitude 6.4 quake strikes off Indonesia, no reports of damage
- 12:27 CET Rival to Burundi’s president escapes from jail – ministry
- 12:15 CET Tanzania president pledges crackdown on albino killings
- 11:45 CET Volcano Villarrica erupts in southern Chile, villages evacuated