Twin rallies have been held in Caracas and Havana to mark the anniversary of the failed 1992 coup by Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.
Although it ended in disaster it cemented Chavez’s revolutionary image, and was the first step towards him being elected in 1998.
Vice-President Nicolas Maduro assured the tens of thousands of people in Caracas that Hugo Chavez, in a Cuban hospital since December 10, was on the mend and that the opposition would “never” run the country again.
Maduro insisted that, unlike the political elite which escaped sanction for years of corruption and criminal activity Chavez had admitted his faults and served his time.
On the other side of town opposition supporters heard their leader Henrique Capriles say that February 4 was a day to remember, not to celebrate.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 4Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 5Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
Wires > News
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…
- 00:20 CET Ivory Coast arrests man suspected of link to Grand Bassam hotel…
- 00:10 CET Guinea Bissau president names Baciro Dja as prime minister
- 00:06 CET Vietnam restricted access to Facebook during Obama visit -…