Twin rallies have been held in Caracas and Havana to mark the anniversary of the failed 1992 coup by Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.
Although it ended in disaster it cemented Chavez’s revolutionary image, and was the first step towards him being elected in 1998.
Vice-President Nicolas Maduro assured the tens of thousands of people in Caracas that Hugo Chavez, in a Cuban hospital since December 10, was on the mend and that the opposition would “never” run the country again.
Maduro insisted that, unlike the political elite which escaped sanction for years of corruption and criminal activity Chavez had admitted his faults and served his time.
On the other side of town opposition supporters heard their leader Henrique Capriles say that February 4 was a day to remember, not to celebrate.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 05:57 CET Malaysian parliament investigation of state fund on hold
- 05:54 CET Pakistan police say kill head of banned sectarian group
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State
- 02:55 CET Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Panama-Colombia border, no reports of…
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe