Twin rallies have been held in Caracas and Havana to mark the anniversary of the failed 1992 coup by Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.
Although it ended in disaster it cemented Chavez’s revolutionary image, and was the first step towards him being elected in 1998.
Vice-President Nicolas Maduro assured the tens of thousands of people in Caracas that Hugo Chavez, in a Cuban hospital since December 10, was on the mend and that the opposition would “never” run the country again.
Maduro insisted that, unlike the political elite which escaped sanction for years of corruption and criminal activity Chavez had admitted his faults and served his time.
On the other side of town opposition supporters heard their leader Henrique Capriles say that February 4 was a day to remember, not to celebrate.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
‘We love peace,’ China’s president proclaims at WWII parade
Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
MH370: experts now certain wing section is from missing plane
Wires > News
- 22:37 CET Migrants scuffle with Hungary police; dead toddler’s image shocks…
- 22:32 CET U.N. experts accuse Chad of abuses in Central Africa conflict
- 22:16 CET Guatemala’s president quits, faces charges in graft scandal
- 21:14 CET Leading Islamist party faces test in local Moroccan elections
- 20:56 CET Father of drowned Syrian toddlers prepares to take bodies home
- 20:16 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 19:05 CET Greek leftists put on brave face as poll shows conservatives…
- 18:48 CET U.N. to set up inspection regime to ease Yemen humanitarian plight