A new British research centre in Antarctica opens replacing the one that led to a discovery of a hole in the ozone layer.
Costing over 30 million euros and built over four nine-week periods of Antarctic summers, Halley VI is the sixth research centre built on the floating Brunt Ice Shelf floating on the eastern edge of the Weddell Sea.
Halley VI is fully relocatable and contains bedrooms, laboratories, offices and energy plants.
Its predecessor, Halley V, was demolished because of fears that the ice it sat on could break away.
The old research centre provided data for the discovery of a hole in the ozone layer in 1985.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 4Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Ukraine preparing to swap Russian prisoners for pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Afghan Taliban names Haibatullah Akhunzada as its new chief
Violent clashes outside rally but Trump ever-confident of US election success
Death penalty sought for South Carolina church shooter
More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
Wires > News
- 11:00 CET Moscow poised to hand over prisoner Savchenko to Ukraine: reports
- 10:57 CET Obama to Asians worried about U.S. election – It’s going to be OK
- 10:51 CET Kenya says its troops kill 21 al Shabaab fighters in Somalia
- 10:41 CET Afghan Taliban appoint new leader, Kabul urges peace
- 10:12 CET Euro zone hails ‘breakthrough’ with Greece, IMF debt deal
- 10:11 CET War on terrier: Australia deputy PM dogs Depp with ‘Hannibal…
- 09:59 CET Vietnamese dissident a reluctant tourist during Obama visit
- 09:56 CET Ten killed in suicide attack near Afghan capital