A new British research centre in Antarctica opens replacing the one that led to a discovery of a hole in the ozone layer.
Costing over 30 million euros and built over four nine-week periods of Antarctic summers, Halley VI is the sixth research centre built on the floating Brunt Ice Shelf floating on the eastern edge of the Weddell Sea.
Halley VI is fully relocatable and contains bedrooms, laboratories, offices and energy plants.
Its predecessor, Halley V, was demolished because of fears that the ice it sat on could break away.
The old research centre provided data for the discovery of a hole in the ozone layer in 1985.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Andy Murray joins Federer in not staying at Rio Olympic Village
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’