New video footage has revealed the harsh conditions that Syrian refugees are enduring within the country’s borders.
More than a million people are estimated to be internally displaced.
At one camp, 40 kilometres from Aleppo, more than 11,000 people are struggling with a lack of food and shelter. More than 5,000 refugees have arrived in the last few days.
The UN humanitarian office is preparing for a big spike in the number of refugees as the civil war escalates.
Meanwhile Syria’s opposition is ready for talks with the regime, but leader Moaz Alkhatib says President Bashar al-Assad must step down as a precondition for negotiations.
Assad has previously refused to have dialogue with people he calls traitors or “puppets made by the West.”
A Syrian newspaper with close links to the government quotes a source within the regime saying the offer was “two years late”. The source also questioned opposition leader Alkhatib’s role as negotiator.
Fierce battles erupted once again in Aleppo on Tuesday as rebels fought government troops near an army barracks, according to activists.
Once Syria’s thriving commercial capital, several areas of the city have been completely ravaged by war.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:21 CET U.S. Army base in Texas on lockdown after suspicious vehicle found
- 01:17 CET Mexico summons Uruguay ambassador over president’s comments on…
- 01:05 CET Afghan women excluded from peace talks with Taliban – aid agency
- 00:01 CET Landmark Tunisian presidential election seen heading for run-off
- 23:20 CET Portugal ex-PM Socrates still in custody, more questioning on…
- 22:42 CET Multi-national crew blasts off for space station
- 22:32 CET France’s Hollande made left-wing voters feel betrayed – ex-partner
- 21:37 CET No easy ‘plan B’ for Iran if nuclear talks with major powers…