New video footage has revealed the harsh conditions that Syrian refugees are enduring within the country’s borders.
More than a million people are estimated to be internally displaced.
At one camp, 40 kilometres from Aleppo, more than 11,000 people are struggling with a lack of food and shelter. More than 5,000 refugees have arrived in the last few days.
The UN humanitarian office is preparing for a big spike in the number of refugees as the civil war escalates.
Meanwhile Syria’s opposition is ready for talks with the regime, but leader Moaz Alkhatib says President Bashar al-Assad must step down as a precondition for negotiations.
Assad has previously refused to have dialogue with people he calls traitors or “puppets made by the West.”
A Syrian newspaper with close links to the government quotes a source within the regime saying the offer was “two years late”. The source also questioned opposition leader Alkhatib’s role as negotiator.
Fierce battles erupted once again in Aleppo on Tuesday as rebels fought government troops near an army barracks, according to activists.
Once Syria’s thriving commercial capital, several areas of the city have been completely ravaged by war.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 11:15 CET Kremlin critic Navalny’s aides say Russian prosecutor wants him…
- 10:54 CET Pakistan widows, ‘second’ wives flee fighting but are denied aid
- 10:38 CET Insight – Town vs town, faction vs faction as Libya descends into…
- 09:48 CET Greece evacuates embassy staff, foreign nationals from Libya
- 09:46 CET PR firm Edelman says its China chief is missing amid unspecified…
- 09:20 CET Japan offers vessels to Vietnam to boost its sea strength
- 09:12 CET Algerian capital hit by 5.5 quake, no reports of damage
- 09:07 CET Gas blast in Taiwan kills 25, injures 267, topples buildings