New video footage has revealed the harsh conditions that Syrian refugees are enduring within the country’s borders.
More than a million people are estimated to be internally displaced.
At one camp, 40 kilometres from Aleppo, more than 11,000 people are struggling with a lack of food and shelter. More than 5,000 refugees have arrived in the last few days.
The UN humanitarian office is preparing for a big spike in the number of refugees as the civil war escalates.
Meanwhile Syria’s opposition is ready for talks with the regime, but leader Moaz Alkhatib says President Bashar al-Assad must step down as a precondition for negotiations.
Assad has previously refused to have dialogue with people he calls traitors or “puppets made by the West.”
A Syrian newspaper with close links to the government quotes a source within the regime saying the offer was “two years late”. The source also questioned opposition leader Alkhatib’s role as negotiator.
Fierce battles erupted once again in Aleppo on Tuesday as rebels fought government troops near an army barracks, according to activists.
Once Syria’s thriving commercial capital, several areas of the city have been completely ravaged by war.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 19:26 CET German justice minister sacks top prosecutor over treason row
- 19:22 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 19:02 CET Gaddafi loyalists stage rare protest in eastern Libya
- 18:33 CET Obama’s climate plan shows U.S. can change world – U.N.‘s Ban
- 18:31 CET Further conflict, debt dispute pose high risk to Ukraine recovery…
- 18:14 CET Russia resubmits claim for energy-rich Arctic shelf
- 17:42 CET Syria foreign minister in Tehran for talks with Iran, Russia
- 17:29 CET Turkish jets hit PKK targets, soldiers killed in southeast