05/02/13 14:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
New video footage has revealed the harsh conditions that Syrian refugees are enduring within the country’s borders.
More than a million people are estimated to be internally displaced.
At one camp, 40 kilometres from Aleppo, more than 11,000 people are struggling with a lack of food and shelter. More than 5,000 refugees have arrived in the last few days.
The UN humanitarian office is preparing for a big spike in the number of refugees as the civil war escalates.
Meanwhile Syria’s opposition is ready for talks with the regime, but leader Moaz Alkhatib says President Bashar al-Assad must step down as a precondition for negotiations.
Assad has previously refused to have dialogue with people he calls traitors or “puppets made by the West.”
A Syrian newspaper with close links to the government quotes a source within the regime saying the offer was “two years late”. The source also questioned opposition leader Alkhatib’s role as negotiator.
Fierce battles erupted once again in Aleppo on Tuesday as rebels fought government troops near an army barracks, according to activists.
Once Syria’s thriving commercial capital, several areas of the city have been completely ravaged by war.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
French union blockades spark petrol shortages
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …
- 22:41 CET North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader