05/02/13 14:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
New video footage has revealed the harsh conditions that Syrian refugees are enduring within the country’s borders.
More than a million people are estimated to be internally displaced.
At one camp, 40 kilometres from Aleppo, more than 11,000 people are struggling with a lack of food and shelter. More than 5,000 refugees have arrived in the last few days.
The UN humanitarian office is preparing for a big spike in the number of refugees as the civil war escalates.
Meanwhile Syria’s opposition is ready for talks with the regime, but leader Moaz Alkhatib says President Bashar al-Assad must step down as a precondition for negotiations.
Assad has previously refused to have dialogue with people he calls traitors or “puppets made by the West.”
A Syrian newspaper with close links to the government quotes a source within the regime saying the offer was “two years late”. The source also questioned opposition leader Alkhatib’s role as negotiator.
Fierce battles erupted once again in Aleppo on Tuesday as rebels fought government troops near an army barracks, according to activists.
Once Syria’s thriving commercial capital, several areas of the city have been completely ravaged by war.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
End of May Hong Kong sale to feature world’s biggest green diamond
Papa Wemba buried in Kinshasa
Israeli authorities discuss a halt on returning attackers’ bodies
Wires > News
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:36 CET Russia’s FSB says arrests group planning attack in Moscow region -…
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…
- 17:25 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen poses growing threat to shipping – naval force