Residents of Midland City, Alabama, are celebrating the release of a five year old boy from the town held captive for a week.
Believing the boy was in “imminent danger”, the FBI raided the bunker where he was being held, shooting the hostage-taker who was also a suspected murderer.
“We had prayed for our little warrior to come out strong and safe and for his mother to wrap her arms around him,” said relieved Midland City native Josh Tucker.
The child, identified only as Ethan, was abducted from a school bus seven days ago. He is said to be unharmed, but was taken to a local hospital.
“Let me explain something to you about this little boy. He’s a very special child whose been through a lot. He’s endured a lot. It is by the grace of God, he’s, he’s okay,” Sheriff of Dale County Wally Olson told reporters.
Police say negotiations with the hostage-taker, 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes, had broken down in the previous 24 hours.
Dykes is also believed to have shot and killed the bus driver, Charles Albert Poland, 65.
The motive for the kidnapping is unknown.
Dykes was a retired truck driver and highly-decorated Vietnam War veteran. However, reports from neighbours claim he was mentally-disturbed and feared a government raid on his property. One neighbour accuses Dykes of beating her dog to death with a pipe.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 18:29 CET WHO chief says Ebola out of control but can be stopped
- 18:14 CET Doubts surface about India’s Modi after trade deal scuppered
- 17:26 CET Ugandan court overturns anti-gay law that halted Western aid
- 17:19 CET Jailed Indian tycoon gets office to negotiate hotel sales
- 15:29 CET Somali lawmaker killed in Mogadishu, fifth since April
- 15:13 CET Myanmar military releases 91 child soldiers
- 14:52 CET India’s Congress slams book challenging party chief Sonia Gandhi
- 14:49 CET Exclusive: China’s Xi likely to promote army general who exposed…