05/02/13 12:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Residents of Midland City, Alabama, are celebrating the release of a five year old boy from the town held captive for a week.
Believing the boy was in “imminent danger”, the FBI raided the bunker where he was being held, shooting the hostage-taker who was also a suspected murderer.
“We had prayed for our little warrior to come out strong and safe and for his mother to wrap her arms around him,” said relieved Midland City native Josh Tucker.
The child, identified only as Ethan, was abducted from a school bus seven days ago. He is said to be unharmed, but was taken to a local hospital.
“Let me explain something to you about this little boy. He’s a very special child whose been through a lot. He’s endured a lot. It is by the grace of God, he’s, he’s okay,” Sheriff of Dale County Wally Olson told reporters.
Police say negotiations with the hostage-taker, 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes, had broken down in the previous 24 hours.
Dykes is also believed to have shot and killed the bus driver, Charles Albert Poland, 65.
The motive for the kidnapping is unknown.
Dykes was a retired truck driver and highly-decorated Vietnam War veteran. However, reports from neighbours claim he was mentally-disturbed and feared a government raid on his property. One neighbour accuses Dykes of beating her dog to death with a pipe.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 3Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 4Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 5Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
Ahead of COP21, climate-change activists prepare to march on London
Wires > News
- 17:20 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 17:17 CET Boko Haram claims responsibility for Kano suicide bomb – SITE
- 16:58 CET Detained journalists urge EU not to compromise with Turkey over…
- 16:48 CET Nearly 1000 people denied entry to France since attacks – minister
- 16:47 CET Leader of German anti-immigrant party calls on Merkel to resign
- 16:40 CET Kremlin says Putin ‘fully mobilised’ to tackle threat from Turkey
- 16:24 CET Suicide car bomb kills seven in northern Iraq
- 16:23 CET Egyptian Coptic Pope makes rare Jerusalem visit