Residents of Midland City, Alabama, are celebrating the release of a five year old boy from the town held captive for a week.
Believing the boy was in “imminent danger”, the FBI raided the bunker where he was being held, shooting the hostage-taker who was also a suspected murderer.
“We had prayed for our little warrior to come out strong and safe and for his mother to wrap her arms around him,” said relieved Midland City native Josh Tucker.
The child, identified only as Ethan, was abducted from a school bus seven days ago. He is said to be unharmed, but was taken to a local hospital.
“Let me explain something to you about this little boy. He’s a very special child whose been through a lot. He’s endured a lot. It is by the grace of God, he’s, he’s okay,” Sheriff of Dale County Wally Olson told reporters.
Police say negotiations with the hostage-taker, 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes, had broken down in the previous 24 hours.
Dykes is also believed to have shot and killed the bus driver, Charles Albert Poland, 65.
The motive for the kidnapping is unknown.
Dykes was a retired truck driver and highly-decorated Vietnam War veteran. However, reports from neighbours claim he was mentally-disturbed and feared a government raid on his property. One neighbour accuses Dykes of beating her dog to death with a pipe.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 2Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 3Labeled as ‘Art/Craft’ a stolen Picasso worth millions is found in New York airport
- 4Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 5Riots in Athens as left-wing supporters vent their anger at newly-elected premier
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 12:31 CET Cameron says Britain will do what it can to track down ‘Jihadi…
- 12:28 CET German lawmakers approve Greek bailout extension
- 12:27 CET Two Japan ministers latest to deny illegal funding
- 12:21 CET Deaths shake Ukraine truce, Poroshenko wary of Russia threat
- 12:19 CET Turkish central bank governor remains in post, resignation rumours…
- 12:09 CET China to blacklist officials who interfere in court cases
- 12:08 CET Three Ukrainian servicemen killed in past 24 hours – Kiev military
- 12:04 CET Danish police arrest suspect related to February 14-15 shootings