Residents of Midland City, Alabama, are celebrating the release of a five year old boy from the town held captive for a week.
Believing the boy was in “imminent danger”, the FBI raided the bunker where he was being held, shooting the hostage-taker who was also a suspected murderer.
“We had prayed for our little warrior to come out strong and safe and for his mother to wrap her arms around him,” said relieved Midland City native Josh Tucker.
The child, identified only as Ethan, was abducted from a school bus seven days ago. He is said to be unharmed, but was taken to a local hospital.
“Let me explain something to you about this little boy. He’s a very special child whose been through a lot. He’s endured a lot. It is by the grace of God, he’s, he’s okay,” Sheriff of Dale County Wally Olson told reporters.
Police say negotiations with the hostage-taker, 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes, had broken down in the previous 24 hours.
Dykes is also believed to have shot and killed the bus driver, Charles Albert Poland, 65.
The motive for the kidnapping is unknown.
Dykes was a retired truck driver and highly-decorated Vietnam War veteran. However, reports from neighbours claim he was mentally-disturbed and feared a government raid on his property. One neighbour accuses Dykes of beating her dog to death with a pipe.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies
- 2Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 3Doctor in New York tests positive for Ebola infection
- 4Video footage of Canadian parliament gunman shows final movements
- 5[In pictures] Pre-revolutionary Russia as you may never have seen it before
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 20:42 CET No U.S. troop cuts without credible North Korea nuclear deal, says…
- 20:12 CET Vienna inaugurates monument to World War Two deserters
- 19:37 CET French court approves Kazakh tycoon Ablyazov’s extradition to…
- 19:27 CET Suspicious powder sent to western consulates in Istanbul -…
- 19:26 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill at least 28 security personnel
- 19:25 CET Palestinian boy shot dead by Israeli forces at West Bank protest
- 19:13 CET U.S. diplomat criticises PM Orban’s Russia policies
- 18:58 CET U.N. authorises ship inspections near Somalia for arms, charcoal