Residents of Midland City, Alabama, are celebrating the release of a five year old boy from the town held captive for a week.
Believing the boy was in “imminent danger”, the FBI raided the bunker where he was being held, shooting the hostage-taker who was also a suspected murderer.
“We had prayed for our little warrior to come out strong and safe and for his mother to wrap her arms around him,” said relieved Midland City native Josh Tucker.
The child, identified only as Ethan, was abducted from a school bus seven days ago. He is said to be unharmed, but was taken to a local hospital.
“Let me explain something to you about this little boy. He’s a very special child whose been through a lot. He’s endured a lot. It is by the grace of God, he’s, he’s okay,” Sheriff of Dale County Wally Olson told reporters.
Police say negotiations with the hostage-taker, 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes, had broken down in the previous 24 hours.
Dykes is also believed to have shot and killed the bus driver, Charles Albert Poland, 65.
The motive for the kidnapping is unknown.
Dykes was a retired truck driver and highly-decorated Vietnam War veteran. However, reports from neighbours claim he was mentally-disturbed and feared a government raid on his property. One neighbour accuses Dykes of beating her dog to death with a pipe.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut
- 2EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president
- 3Ukraine: Mariupol digs trenches, prepares to defend city
- 4Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 5Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 1Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 2Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 3NATO: satellite images ‘show Russian troops in Ukraine’
- 4Obama backs claims of Russian troops in Ukraine
- 5[As it happened] Newsday: Ukraine – Russia – NATO – Syria – Ebola
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 6Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 10Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 12Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 13Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 14Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 17Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 18Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 19Hamas executes 18 suspected collaborators | euronews, world news
- 20Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
Wires > News
- 03:30 CET Trapped peacekeepers at Golan Heights moved to secure area -…
- 01:16 CET Lesotho PM says army staged coup, flees to South Africa
- 01:03 CET Seriously ill boy taken from UK hospital found in Spain – police
- 00:14 CET Islamic State militants behead captive Lebanese soldier – video
- 23:25 CET Modi seeks Japan’s help for ‘inclusive vision’ on first big trip
- 23:21 CET 22 miners rescued from Nicaragua gold mine after landslide
- 22:59 CET Obama, Harper discuss NATO summit, Iraq in phone call – White House
- 22:00 CET Bahrain detains Shi’ite rights activist on arrival at airport