Impressionist master Pablo Picasso’s painting “Woman Seated by a Window” is to go under the hammer at Sotheby’s in London on February 5.
“Woman Seated by a Window” has an estimated value of 40 million euros, but the auction house said it could fetch more than that.
The piece, a portrait of the painter’s muse Marie-Therese Walter, was completed in 1932.
Helena Newman, Chair of Impressionist and Modern Art at Sotheby’s Europe said:
“Most of the examples from this year and of his Marie-Therese subject are in museums around the world. So, it represents a real opportunity for a collector to buy a museum quality painting coming out of private hands.”
The auction house’s Impressionist and modern art evening sale also features works by Austrian artist Egon Schiele.
The current record for a Schiele was set by Sotheby’s in 2011, when it sold one of his cityscapes for more than 25 million euros.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Delays and cancellations as French unions begin indefinite transport strike
Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting president
WHO advises two months of safe sex for Zika prevention
Police to investigate Cincinnati Zoo gorilla shooting
The world’s longest train tunnel inaugurated
Wires > News
- 07:11 CET North Korea’s missile and nuclear projects unacceptable, Japan…
- 07:08 CET Falluja children face extreme violence, UNICEF says
- 07:08 CET Japan PM to postpone sales tax rise, snap election off table for…
- 07:02 CET Trepidation lingers as Canada wildfire evacuees begin to return
- 06:25 CET Exclusive: U.S.-backed Syria forces launch offensive for Manbij…
- 06:20 CET China says first stealth fighter not yet in service, but coming…
- 05:40 CET In-law of Mexico striker Pulido nabbed for alleged role in his…
- 05:27 CET As Beijing flexes muscles in South China Sea, Malaysia eyes harder…