Impressionist master Pablo Picasso’s painting “Woman Seated by a Window” is to go under the hammer at Sotheby’s in London on February 5.
“Woman Seated by a Window” has an estimated value of 40 million euros, but the auction house said it could fetch more than that.
The piece, a portrait of the painter’s muse Marie-Therese Walter, was completed in 1932.
Helena Newman, Chair of Impressionist and Modern Art at Sotheby’s Europe said:
“Most of the examples from this year and of his Marie-Therese subject are in museums around the world. So, it represents a real opportunity for a collector to buy a museum quality painting coming out of private hands.”
The auction house’s Impressionist and modern art evening sale also features works by Austrian artist Egon Schiele.
The current record for a Schiele was set by Sotheby’s in 2011, when it sold one of his cityscapes for more than 25 million euros.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 3Missouri execution of death-row inmate Michael Taylor ‘flawed’
- 4Protests mark the first anniversary of the Bangladesh clothing factory tragedy
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 03:00 CET U.S. sharply criticizes Iran’s election to U.N. committee
- 02:04 CET Obama to use Japan visit to reassure Asian allies
- 02:00 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 01:26 CET Australia transport bureau says beach debris not from MH370
- 00:59 CET Pentagon dossier to detail secretive U.S. Afghan detainee policy
- 00:55 CET Ukraine revolt shows faces, but whose are the brains?
- 00:54 CET Exclusive – Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklist…
- 23:49 CET Colombia ICRC says peace may solve mystery of disappeared