As the March 1 deadline draws closer for automatic austerity measures to be imposed on the US government, President Barack Obama has urged Congress to pass a smaller package of reforms.
Democrats say his plan will avoid a new fiscal cliff and prevent the American economy from returning to recession.
But Republicans have quickly rebuffed his proposals, saying further spending cuts, rather than tax increases were needed.
Obama says the uncertainty over a budget deal threatened to stunt economic growth further.
“Our economy right now is headed in the right direction. And it will stay that way, as long as there aren’t any more self-inflicted wounds coming out of Washington.
So let’s keep on chipping away at this problem together, as Democrats and Republicans, to give our workers and our businesses the support that they need to thrive in the weeks and months ahead.”
American politicians delayed across-the-board cuts for a few months at the start of the year, allowing more time for negotiations.
While both sides agree that America’s vast budget deficit needs to be trimmed, they still can’t agree on how.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 5Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 11:33 CET Al Qaeda executes Yemeni accused of guiding U.S. drone strikes
- 11:28 CET Erdogan says Turkey may ban Facebook, YouTube over wiretaps
- 11:21 CET China voices ‘deep concern’ to North Korea over plane near-miss
- 11:17 CET Malaysia opposition’s Anwar convicted of sodomy
- 11:15 CET Poland’s ruling party closes gap on conservative opposition
- 11:04 CET International court convicts Congolese warlord Katanga of war…
- 10:21 CET Violent splinter group mars peace deal with Pakistan Taliban
- 10:18 CET Malaysia opposition’s Anwar convicted of sodomy