As the March 1 deadline draws closer for automatic austerity measures to be imposed on the US government, President Barack Obama has urged Congress to pass a smaller package of reforms.
Democrats say his plan will avoid a new fiscal cliff and prevent the American economy from returning to recession.
But Republicans have quickly rebuffed his proposals, saying further spending cuts, rather than tax increases were needed.
Obama says the uncertainty over a budget deal threatened to stunt economic growth further.
“Our economy right now is headed in the right direction. And it will stay that way, as long as there aren’t any more self-inflicted wounds coming out of Washington.
So let’s keep on chipping away at this problem together, as Democrats and Republicans, to give our workers and our businesses the support that they need to thrive in the weeks and months ahead.”
American politicians delayed across-the-board cuts for a few months at the start of the year, allowing more time for negotiations.
While both sides agree that America’s vast budget deficit needs to be trimmed, they still can’t agree on how.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 13:41 CET Syria says hopes new peace mediator will be fair
- 13:15 CET EU refers Italy to court over Milan airport state aid
- 11:42 CET Arab rifts may complicate search for Gaza truce
- 11:33 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid in cabin wall, suitcases of cash at…
- 11:09 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 11:04 CET Young Islamic State robs al Qaeda of militant prestige
- 08:29 CET French parliament adopts disputed rail reform
- 07:43 CET Oil smuggling finances Islamic State’s new caliphate