As the March 1 deadline draws closer for automatic austerity measures to be imposed on the US government, President Barack Obama has urged Congress to pass a smaller package of reforms.
Democrats say his plan will avoid a new fiscal cliff and prevent the American economy from returning to recession.
But Republicans have quickly rebuffed his proposals, saying further spending cuts, rather than tax increases were needed.
Obama says the uncertainty over a budget deal threatened to stunt economic growth further.
“Our economy right now is headed in the right direction. And it will stay that way, as long as there aren’t any more self-inflicted wounds coming out of Washington.
So let’s keep on chipping away at this problem together, as Democrats and Republicans, to give our workers and our businesses the support that they need to thrive in the weeks and months ahead.”
American politicians delayed across-the-board cuts for a few months at the start of the year, allowing more time for negotiations.
While both sides agree that America’s vast budget deficit needs to be trimmed, they still can’t agree on how.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 23:49 CET Colombia ICRC says peace may solve mystery of disappeared
- 23:20 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.