In Mali, authorities have started questioning suspected rebel soldiers in the central town of Mopti.
Eight suspects have been brought to Mopti’s prison from Gao: six Malians, one Nigerian and an Algerian.
The men have been linked to the rebellion that was sweeping the country before French-led forces intervened in mid-January.
According to the Alfossini Diop, Attorney General in Mopti, all the men admitted to being members of Islamist militant groups, some linked to al Qaeda.
“Some of them were discovered by civilians and they had weapons of war on them,” Diop said.
A coalition of armed groups took control of much of northern Mali, including Timbuktu and Gao, last year.
The MNLA, a group that wants autonomy for northern Mali, said on Monday that it had captured two senior Islamist insurgents.
The organisation was part of Mali’s rebel coalition, but was pushed aside by better-armed Islamist groups. The MNLA now says it is willing to help the French.
After three weeks of French air strikes, many rebels are retreating to the Adrar des Ifoghas mountains bordering Algeria.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 4Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 5Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Journey to ‘the end of the Earth’ finds giant crater
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 12:59 CET Syrian opposition coalition dissolves interim government
- 12:56 CET Indonesia awaits election results, likely loser pulls out
- 12:36 CET Taiwan battens down as second typhoon threatens region
- 12:33 CET Cambodia opposition drops boycott after PM makes rare deal
- 12:13 CET Dozens of Turkish police detained for alleged spying on government
- 12:12 CET Japan’s public pension to get new digs, stay in Tokyo – sources
- 12:09 CET Myanmar opposition party says five million sign petition to change…
- 12:01 CET Moscow mayor fires metro chief after fatal accident