In Mali, authorities have started questioning suspected rebel soldiers in the central town of Mopti.
Eight suspects have been brought to Mopti’s prison from Gao: six Malians, one Nigerian and an Algerian.
The men have been linked to the rebellion that was sweeping the country before French-led forces intervened in mid-January.
According to the Alfossini Diop, Attorney General in Mopti, all the men admitted to being members of Islamist militant groups, some linked to al Qaeda.
“Some of them were discovered by civilians and they had weapons of war on them,” Diop said.
A coalition of armed groups took control of much of northern Mali, including Timbuktu and Gao, last year.
The MNLA, a group that wants autonomy for northern Mali, said on Monday that it had captured two senior Islamist insurgents.
The organisation was part of Mali’s rebel coalition, but was pushed aside by better-armed Islamist groups. The MNLA now says it is willing to help the French.
After three weeks of French air strikes, many rebels are retreating to the Adrar des Ifoghas mountains bordering Algeria.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Latest world news
Iran talks could get new deadline extension says Washington
France and Germany expect ‘credible’ proposals from Greece
Euclid Tsakalotos sworn in as new Greek finance minister
Iran optimistic of leap in growth once out from under sanctions
Spain open to new Greece bailout talks post-referendum
Wires > News
- 01:07 CET Teenager blows herself up near mosque in Nigeria’s second city
- 22:08 CET Ebola-stricken nations need $700 million to rebuild healthcare
- 21:03 CET Four teachers among six Israeli-Arabs charged for promoting…
- 20:52 CET EU approves 1.15 billion euro aid package for West Africa
- 19:42 CET Chicago’s Fourth of July rituals – fireworks, gun deaths
- 19:32 CET 800 million still hungry and poor despite progress of millennium…
- 19:20 CET Bulgaria eyes Poland fighter deal to cut dependence on Russia
- 19:04 CET Insight – Iranian nuclear deal set to make hardline Revolutionary…