05/02/13 13:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In Mali, authorities have started questioning suspected rebel soldiers in the central town of Mopti.
Eight suspects have been brought to Mopti’s prison from Gao: six Malians, one Nigerian and an Algerian.
The men have been linked to the rebellion that was sweeping the country before French-led forces intervened in mid-January.
According to the Alfossini Diop, Attorney General in Mopti, all the men admitted to being members of Islamist militant groups, some linked to al Qaeda.
“Some of them were discovered by civilians and they had weapons of war on them,” Diop said.
A coalition of armed groups took control of much of northern Mali, including Timbuktu and Gao, last year.
The MNLA, a group that wants autonomy for northern Mali, said on Monday that it had captured two senior Islamist insurgents.
The organisation was part of Mali’s rebel coalition, but was pushed aside by better-armed Islamist groups. The MNLA now says it is willing to help the French.
After three weeks of French air strikes, many rebels are retreating to the Adrar des Ifoghas mountains bordering Algeria.
- 1Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 16:22 CET Sanders may debate Trump, not Clinton, before California contest
- 16:20 CET Iran’s Khamenei calls for vigilance against West’s ‘soft war’ -…
- 15:45 CET French union leads anti-reform protests, warns of Euro soccer cup…
- 15:27 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 15:13 CET Poland’s rule of law dispute keeps some investors away – deputy PM
- 15:10 CET Military push, economic hardship fuel insurgency in Nigeria’s Delta
- 15:05 CET Migrants stranded in Greece take to fields to avoid state-run camps
- 14:25 CET No masking Trump’s popularity at Chinese Partytime Factory