In Mali, authorities have started questioning suspected rebel soldiers in the central town of Mopti.
Eight suspects have been brought to Mopti’s prison from Gao: six Malians, one Nigerian and an Algerian.
The men have been linked to the rebellion that was sweeping the country before French-led forces intervened in mid-January.
According to the Alfossini Diop, Attorney General in Mopti, all the men admitted to being members of Islamist militant groups, some linked to al Qaeda.
“Some of them were discovered by civilians and they had weapons of war on them,” Diop said.
A coalition of armed groups took control of much of northern Mali, including Timbuktu and Gao, last year.
The MNLA, a group that wants autonomy for northern Mali, said on Monday that it had captured two senior Islamist insurgents.
The organisation was part of Mali’s rebel coalition, but was pushed aside by better-armed Islamist groups. The MNLA now says it is willing to help the French.
After three weeks of French air strikes, many rebels are retreating to the Adrar des Ifoghas mountains bordering Algeria.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 06:14 CET Coal mine accident in far west China kills 16 – Xinhua
- 05:57 CET China to shut factories during APEC to curb Beijing pollution -…
- 04:51 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 03:32 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead
- 02:10 CET Virginia remains identified as those of missing college student
- 01:25 CET U.S. says Palestinian-American killed by Israeli forces
- 01:17 CET Mali’s first Ebola case, a two-year-old girl, dies – officials
- 01:12 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill 33 security personnel