05/02/13 13:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In Mali, authorities have started questioning suspected rebel soldiers in the central town of Mopti.
Eight suspects have been brought to Mopti’s prison from Gao: six Malians, one Nigerian and an Algerian.
The men have been linked to the rebellion that was sweeping the country before French-led forces intervened in mid-January.
According to the Alfossini Diop, Attorney General in Mopti, all the men admitted to being members of Islamist militant groups, some linked to al Qaeda.
“Some of them were discovered by civilians and they had weapons of war on them,” Diop said.
A coalition of armed groups took control of much of northern Mali, including Timbuktu and Gao, last year.
The MNLA, a group that wants autonomy for northern Mali, said on Monday that it had captured two senior Islamist insurgents.
The organisation was part of Mali’s rebel coalition, but was pushed aside by better-armed Islamist groups. The MNLA now says it is willing to help the French.
After three weeks of French air strikes, many rebels are retreating to the Adrar des Ifoghas mountains bordering Algeria.
- 1All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 2Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 3Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
- 4Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 5COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Wires > News
- 07:19 CET Colorado shooting suspect said ‘no more baby parts’ – reports
- 06:28 CET Lie detectors, solitary: How South Korea screens refugees
- 03:11 CET Japan’s tiny refugee community urges Tokyo to open doors wider
- 01:06 CET EU hopes for Turkish help to slow migrants at summit
- 22:12 CET Greek PM fails to get opposition backing on pension reform
- 22:00 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 21:21 CET Putin, citing national security, signs Turkey sanctions decree
- 20:01 CET Thousands of Israeli Arabs protest ban on Islamist group