In Mali, authorities have started questioning suspected rebel soldiers in the central town of Mopti.
Eight suspects have been brought to Mopti’s prison from Gao: six Malians, one Nigerian and an Algerian.
The men have been linked to the rebellion that was sweeping the country before French-led forces intervened in mid-January.
According to the Alfossini Diop, Attorney General in Mopti, all the men admitted to being members of Islamist militant groups, some linked to al Qaeda.
“Some of them were discovered by civilians and they had weapons of war on them,” Diop said.
A coalition of armed groups took control of much of northern Mali, including Timbuktu and Gao, last year.
The MNLA, a group that wants autonomy for northern Mali, said on Monday that it had captured two senior Islamist insurgents.
The organisation was part of Mali’s rebel coalition, but was pushed aside by better-armed Islamist groups. The MNLA now says it is willing to help the French.
After three weeks of French air strikes, many rebels are retreating to the Adrar des Ifoghas mountains bordering Algeria.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Moscow denies ultimatum, EU discusses “targeted sanctions”
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 07:59 CET Erdogan says Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- 07:17 CET Violence against women ‘pandemic’ in Mexico
- 07:09 CET China warns prominent Internet users over Kunming attack
- 04:44 CET Senior North Korean official reappears, belies reports of another…
- 00:51 CET U.S. freedom of navigation operations in 2013 targeted China, Iran
- 22:27 CET Congo warlord verdict a test for flagging international court
- 22:13 CET China’s “land kings” under threat as tightening takes a toll
- 21:40 CET Caribbean nations consider push for slavery reparations