05/02/13 13:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In Mali, authorities have started questioning suspected rebel soldiers in the central town of Mopti.
Eight suspects have been brought to Mopti’s prison from Gao: six Malians, one Nigerian and an Algerian.
The men have been linked to the rebellion that was sweeping the country before French-led forces intervened in mid-January.
According to the Alfossini Diop, Attorney General in Mopti, all the men admitted to being members of Islamist militant groups, some linked to al Qaeda.
“Some of them were discovered by civilians and they had weapons of war on them,” Diop said.
A coalition of armed groups took control of much of northern Mali, including Timbuktu and Gao, last year.
The MNLA, a group that wants autonomy for northern Mali, said on Monday that it had captured two senior Islamist insurgents.
The organisation was part of Mali’s rebel coalition, but was pushed aside by better-armed Islamist groups. The MNLA now says it is willing to help the French.
After three weeks of French air strikes, many rebels are retreating to the Adrar des Ifoghas mountains bordering Algeria.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 09:33 CET Dhaka arrests five Bangladeshis deported from Singapore
- 09:28 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires – Observatory
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city