In Mali, authorities have started questioning suspected rebel soldiers in the central town of Mopti.
Eight suspects have been brought to Mopti’s prison from Gao: six Malians, one Nigerian and an Algerian.
The men have been linked to the rebellion that was sweeping the country before French-led forces intervened in mid-January.
According to the Alfossini Diop, Attorney General in Mopti, all the men admitted to being members of Islamist militant groups, some linked to al Qaeda.
“Some of them were discovered by civilians and they had weapons of war on them,” Diop said.
A coalition of armed groups took control of much of northern Mali, including Timbuktu and Gao, last year.
The MNLA, a group that wants autonomy for northern Mali, said on Monday that it had captured two senior Islamist insurgents.
The organisation was part of Mali’s rebel coalition, but was pushed aside by better-armed Islamist groups. The MNLA now says it is willing to help the French.
After three weeks of French air strikes, many rebels are retreating to the Adrar des Ifoghas mountains bordering Algeria.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 16:14 CET Insight – Libya’s runaway parliament seeks refuge in Tobruk bubble
- 16:13 CET Bahrain to detain, question activist Nabeel Rajab for one week -…
- 15:57 CET Egypt army kills militant commander in Sinai – security sources
- 15:55 CET Ireland to vote on removal of blasphemy law last used in 1855
- 15:35 CET Seven killed in Pakistan passenger bus explosion
- 15:21 CET Nigeria’s Boko Haram ‘leader’ appears in new video – AFP
- 15:03 CET Putin says ‘foolish’ sanctions will not hold back Russia
- 14:54 CET Libyan soldiers killed in Benghazi attacks