Benjamin Netanyahu is back for a third term as prime minister, but in a weaker position having lost 11 of his Likud Party’s seats in the January 22 elections.
A record number of 48 new members of the Knesset were sworn in at the opening ceremony taking their seats for the first time.
Presiding over the opening of the Knesset was the oldest member, 77-year-old Labour politician Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, who has been a lawmaker there for 29 years. During the ceremony, Ben-Eliezer met with Netanyahu and Israeli President Shimon Peres.
However, amidst all the pomp and ceremony came a serious message from Peres, who warned the danger from Iran is growing.
The president described the Iranian leadership as a “terrifying dictatorship” which threatens the existence of Israel and world peace.
Israel believes Iran must be prevented from reaching military nuclear capabilities at any cost.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage?
- 2Heartbroken dog waits in vain for its dead owner in Russia
- 3Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 4Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 5Show of unity as Ukraine parliament meets for first session
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 23:37 CET Ivory Coast seizes two Chinese trawlers in fishing dispute
- 23:10 CET Argentina charges HSBC with aiding tax evasion via Swiss accounts
- 23:04 CET Pope to urge tolerance in Turkey visit as Middle East wars rage
- 23:01 CET EU’s Juncker survives no-confidence vote over tax deals
- 22:17 CET France warns African leaders against trying to keep power
- 22:04 CET Taliban kill five in Kabul in attacks on British embassy car…
- 22:03 CET Can man-of-the-people Widodo micromanage 240 million Indonesians?
- 21:56 CET At least 133 killed in tribal clashes in Sudan – tribe leader