Benjamin Netanyahu is back for a third term as prime minister, but in a weaker position having lost 11 of his Likud Party’s seats in the January 22 elections.
A record number of 48 new members of the Knesset were sworn in at the opening ceremony taking their seats for the first time.
Presiding over the opening of the Knesset was the oldest member, 77-year-old Labour politician Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, who has been a lawmaker there for 29 years. During the ceremony, Ben-Eliezer met with Netanyahu and Israeli President Shimon Peres.
However, amidst all the pomp and ceremony came a serious message from Peres, who warned the danger from Iran is growing.
The president described the Iranian leadership as a “terrifying dictatorship” which threatens the existence of Israel and world peace.
Israel believes Iran must be prevented from reaching military nuclear capabilities at any cost.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Israeli launches night time air strikes on Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 11:54 CET China’s war games don’t faze Japan but disrupt civilian air traffic
- 10:54 CET South Africa metals workers start returning to job after four-week…
- 10:47 CET Civilians killed in eastern Ukraine amid fierce fighting
- 10:22 CET U.S. judge signs order to seize Kurdish oil from tanker off Texas
- 10:19 CET Insight – Gold, diamonds feed Central African religious violence
- 09:30 CET Australia issues arrest warrants over Syria severed head photos
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama