Benjamin Netanyahu is back for a third term as prime minister, but in a weaker position having lost 11 of his Likud Party’s seats in the January 22 elections.
A record number of 48 new members of the Knesset were sworn in at the opening ceremony taking their seats for the first time.
Presiding over the opening of the Knesset was the oldest member, 77-year-old Labour politician Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, who has been a lawmaker there for 29 years. During the ceremony, Ben-Eliezer met with Netanyahu and Israeli President Shimon Peres.
However, amidst all the pomp and ceremony came a serious message from Peres, who warned the danger from Iran is growing.
The president described the Iranian leadership as a “terrifying dictatorship” which threatens the existence of Israel and world peace.
Israel believes Iran must be prevented from reaching military nuclear capabilities at any cost.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani
- 19:09 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:01 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 18:50 CET Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- 18:43 CET Syrians’ plight worsens, hope for political deal fades
- 18:34 CET Mine injures peacekeeper as diplomats visit Mali’s Kidal
- 18:04 CET At least 63 killed as speeding Congo train derails – government…