Benjamin Netanyahu is back for a third term as prime minister, but in a weaker position having lost 11 of his Likud Party’s seats in the January 22 elections.
A record number of 48 new members of the Knesset were sworn in at the opening ceremony taking their seats for the first time.
Presiding over the opening of the Knesset was the oldest member, 77-year-old Labour politician Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, who has been a lawmaker there for 29 years. During the ceremony, Ben-Eliezer met with Netanyahu and Israeli President Shimon Peres.
However, amidst all the pomp and ceremony came a serious message from Peres, who warned the danger from Iran is growing.
The president described the Iranian leadership as a “terrifying dictatorship” which threatens the existence of Israel and world peace.
Israel believes Iran must be prevented from reaching military nuclear capabilities at any cost.
- 1Myanmar refuses sole responsibility in Rohingya migrant crisis
- 2Russia ‘amassing artillery’ near border with eastern Ukraine, reports suggest
- 3Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 4Putin classifies Russian troop deaths during peacetime a state secret
- 5Nigeria: Buhari inaugurated in first democratic transfer of power
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 12EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 13How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:05 CET Islam centre stage as Turkish election campaign enters final week
- 21:52 CET Probes of child abuse in Central African Republic should intensify…
- 21:50 CET Venezuelan opposition holds rallies for imprisoned leaders
- 20:42 CET EU criticises ‘unjustified’ Russian travel blacklist
- 20:19 CET Islamic State blows up empty prison complex in Syria’s Palmyra
- 19:28 CET U.S. and Iran address obstacles to nuclear deal as deadline nears
- 17:53 CET Russian aircraft head off U.S. destroyer in Black Sea – RIA
- 17:51 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 air strikes against Islamic State…