President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is on the first trip of an Iranian head of state to Egypt since Iran’s 1979 revolution.
As he left the plane he was met by Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood President Mohamed Mursi.
It is a visit that would never have been possible under Egypt’s former leader Hosni Mubarak who maintained close links with America and the West.
The two leaders are expected to discuss the Palestinian situation after Ahmadinejad told Beirut-based TV station Al Mayadeen that “the political geography of the region will change if Iran and Egypt take a unified position on the Palestinian question.”
The Iranian leader also said he would like to visit the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory which neighbours Egypt to the east and is under the control of Islamist movement Hamas.
Later this month, Iran will address concerns over its disputed nuclear programme at talks with world powers to be held in Kazakhstan.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 5The Netherlands receives first bodies from Flight MH17 with sombre ceremony
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 21:56 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 21:28 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker