President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is on the first trip of an Iranian head of state to Egypt since Iran’s 1979 revolution.
As he left the plane he was met by Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood President Mohamed Mursi.
It is a visit that would never have been possible under Egypt’s former leader Hosni Mubarak who maintained close links with America and the West.
The two leaders are expected to discuss the Palestinian situation after Ahmadinejad told Beirut-based TV station Al Mayadeen that “the political geography of the region will change if Iran and Egypt take a unified position on the Palestinian question.”
The Iranian leader also said he would like to visit the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory which neighbours Egypt to the east and is under the control of Islamist movement Hamas.
Later this month, Iran will address concerns over its disputed nuclear programme at talks with world powers to be held in Kazakhstan.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:04 CET Desperate Nepalese sleep in open as aftershocks spread fear
- 23:26 CET U.S. Secretary of State Kerry to meet with Iran foreign minister…
- 22:00 CET Israeli air strike kills four planting bomb at Syria frontier -…
- 20:59 CET Togo election peaceful, with turnout low, observers say
- 20:32 CET U.S., allies conduct air strikes in Syria, Iraq – U.S. military
- 19:51 CET Benin president denies third term bid as vote proceeds
- 19:25 CET U.S. mulls ransom policy for families of overseas hostages – ABC TV
- 19:19 CET Leftist Akinci wins north Cyprus election, seeking peace deal