President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is on the first trip of an Iranian head of state to Egypt since Iran’s 1979 revolution.
As he left the plane he was met by Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood President Mohamed Mursi.
It is a visit that would never have been possible under Egypt’s former leader Hosni Mubarak who maintained close links with America and the West.
The two leaders are expected to discuss the Palestinian situation after Ahmadinejad told Beirut-based TV station Al Mayadeen that “the political geography of the region will change if Iran and Egypt take a unified position on the Palestinian question.”
The Iranian leader also said he would like to visit the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory which neighbours Egypt to the east and is under the control of Islamist movement Hamas.
Later this month, Iran will address concerns over its disputed nuclear programme at talks with world powers to be held in Kazakhstan.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET Sudanese President Bashir wins 94.5 percent of vote – election…
- 12:15 CET One more Ukrainian serviceman killed in eastern Ukraine – Kiev…
- 12:10 CET Spanish PM Rajoy upbeat on economy as election race heats up
- 12:07 CET Desperate Nepalis flee capital as aftershocks spread fear
- 12:02 CET Islamist rebels capture army base in Syria’s Idlib province
- 11:53 CET Australia pleads for stay in executions, demands Jakarta probe
- 10:36 CET Freak storm kills 45 in Pakistan
- 10:33 CET Iran bans magazine for encouraging cohabitation over wedlock -…