The companion of a female student gang-raped on a Delhi bus in December is due to testify in court on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old man, among the first prosecution witnesses to be called, was beaten by a gang of men on the bus before being thrown out of the vehicle.
His friend was then repeatedly raped and left by the side of the road. She died 13 days later.
Five men accused of carrying out the attack have pleaded not guilty to rape and murder. A sixth suspect is to be tried in juvenile court.
The case caused outrage in India leading to demonstrations for improved rights for women.
On Sunday, India’s President Pranab Mukherjee approved new laws with tougher punishments for rapists, including the death penalty.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 19Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 20Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:41 CET In U.S. visit, Netanyahu warns an Iran deal could threaten…
- 19:11 CET Target of nation’s outrage, Ukraine central bank chief ploughs on
- 19:06 CET Libya’s Haftar appointed army chief for recognised government
- 19:00 CET EU seeks to bolster Middle East peace Quartet via Arab involvement
- 18:54 CET Exclusive: Guinea says Ebola patients sent home after botched…
- 18:45 CET North Korea angered by U.S.-South Korea military drills, fires…
- 18:21 CET Ukraine says Russia continues to violate winter gas agreement
- 17:54 CET Outgoing Namibian president wins $5 million Africa leadership prize