05/02/13 11:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The companion of a female student gang-raped on a Delhi bus in December is due to testify in court on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old man, among the first prosecution witnesses to be called, was beaten by a gang of men on the bus before being thrown out of the vehicle.
His friend was then repeatedly raped and left by the side of the road. She died 13 days later.
Five men accused of carrying out the attack have pleaded not guilty to rape and murder. A sixth suspect is to be tried in juvenile court.
The case caused outrage in India leading to demonstrations for improved rights for women.
On Sunday, India’s President Pranab Mukherjee approved new laws with tougher punishments for rapists, including the death penalty.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Latest world news
Diplomatic row at the UN highlights the difficulties for peace in Syria
Fresh fears about Zika virus after three deaths in Colombia
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Taiwan: Multiple buildings collapse after a 6.4 magnitude earthquake
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Wires > News
- 01:03 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment tower, two reported killed so far
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse
- 00:14 CET Despite Libya urgency, hurdles to quick action against Islamic…
- 00:12 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 23:53 CET Exclusive – U.S. presidential hopefuls Sanders, Clinton in dead…
- 23:49 CET Guinea journalist killed in clashes between opposition factions
- 23:19 CET U.S., Britain eye letting spy agencies, police seek email, chat…
- 23:13 CET Anti-Nazi centre urges dismissal of Croatia’s culture minister