The companion of a female student gang-raped on a Delhi bus in December is due to testify in court on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old man, among the first prosecution witnesses to be called, was beaten by a gang of men on the bus before being thrown out of the vehicle.
His friend was then repeatedly raped and left by the side of the road. She died 13 days later.
Five men accused of carrying out the attack have pleaded not guilty to rape and murder. A sixth suspect is to be tried in juvenile court.
The case caused outrage in India leading to demonstrations for improved rights for women.
On Sunday, India’s President Pranab Mukherjee approved new laws with tougher punishments for rapists, including the death penalty.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Footage released of 9-year-old on firing range moments before she accidently kills instructor
- 2Boston bombing suspects’ sister arrested
- 3Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
- 4Poroshenko says Russian soldiers have been ‘brought into Ukraine’
- 5Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 7Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 8Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 10Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 12Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 13Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 14Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 17Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 18Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 19Hamas executes 18 suspected collaborators | euronews, world news
- 20Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
Wires > News
- 01:48 CET Silva widens lead ahead of Brazil presidential election -poll
- 00:56 CET Brazil candidate Silva says recession a big worry
- 23:59 CET Pentagon says Iraq operations costing on average $7.5 million per…
- 23:58 CET After hard bargaining, EU set for deal on new leadership
- 22:49 CET Rescuers contact 20 miners trapped in Nicaragua gold mine
- 19:51 CET U.N. tries to locate Fijian peacekeepers seized on Golan Heights
- 19:15 CET Islamist gains in Syria alarm some Assad allies
- 18:37 CET Silence surrounds Colombia’s 92,000 disappeared – ICRC