05/02/13 11:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The companion of a female student gang-raped on a Delhi bus in December is due to testify in court on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old man, among the first prosecution witnesses to be called, was beaten by a gang of men on the bus before being thrown out of the vehicle.
His friend was then repeatedly raped and left by the side of the road. She died 13 days later.
Five men accused of carrying out the attack have pleaded not guilty to rape and murder. A sixth suspect is to be tried in juvenile court.
The case caused outrage in India leading to demonstrations for improved rights for women.
On Sunday, India’s President Pranab Mukherjee approved new laws with tougher punishments for rapists, including the death penalty.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 23:52 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term