05/02/13 18:58 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French President François Hollande fired a warning shot to the EU’s fiscal hawks on Tuesday.
He told MEPs in Strasbourg that France would stand up for their demands to protect European spending.
Hollande launched a thinly-veiled attack on British calls to cut the amount the bloc spends over the next seven years, while at the same time defending its EU rebate.
“A compromise is possible, but it must be reasonable and therefore we will have to reason those who want to cut the EU budget beyond what is possible to accept,” he said.
But British Conservative MEP Martin Callanan suggested Hollande should get France’s fiscal house before laying out his grand vision for the European Union.
“The Socialist prescription of Mr Hollande harmonize everything will be crazy for Europe’s competitivness, already France is losing competitivness massively and now he wants to export France’s problems to the rest of Europe,” he said.
Former Belgian prime minister Guy Verhofstadt said the French president should try and convince his fellow leaders to steer away from a ‘race to the bottom.’
“I think Hollande should try to convince his colleagues at the European Council to approve a budget for the future of the EU and to avoid bargaining down,” he said.
The EU budget amounts to nearly one trillion euros.
Negotiations between EU leaders start on Thursday and are expected to go late into Friday night.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze