Log in
Please enter your login details

Skip to main content

Breaking News
  • A group of 64 migrants broke out of a reception camp near the town of Bicske in central Hungary
  • Hundreds of migrants leave Budapest’s main train station apparently planning to walk to Austria
  • New laws in Hungary give police more powers, set out punishments including prison for illegal border crossing
  • Abandoned truck in Austria: the cooling aggregate in the truck was not operational; refugees suffocated quickly and on Hungarian territory say Austrian police
  • Driver of abandoned truck with 71 dead is among five people arrested in Hungary: Austrian police
  • Hungarian police say 2.300 migrants remain in Roszke camp and are threatening to break out if their demands are not met in 2 hours; their demands are not clear
  • Serbia: as a EU candidate country, Serbia is preprared to take in quota of migrants says Interior Minister Nebojša Stefanović
  • Hungarian police say about 300 migrants broke out of a reception camp at Roszke near the Serbian border. Riot police is surrounding the camp.
  • UNHCR spokeswoman says Britain is offering 4,000 resettlement spaces for Syrian refugees
  • EU’s commissioner Frans Timmermans confirms Jeanc-Claude Juncker will announce expanded migrant relocation quotas next week to relieve Hungary as well as Italy
Facebook Twitter Google+ Reddit

Police in the US state of Alabama have rescued a five-year-old child who was being held captive in an underground bunker.

FBI agents stormed the bunker where 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes was holed up with the boy.

The siege had lasted seven days, since Dykes had shot a school bus driver and taken the child as he fled.

“Mr Dykes was observed holding a gun. At this point FBI agents fearing the child was in imminent danger entered the bunker and rescued the child. The child appears physically unharmed and is being treated in a local hospital. The subject is deceased.” said FBI agent Steve Richardson.

Negotiations with Dykes, a retired trucker and Vietnam veteran, had deteriorated over the last 24 hours.

The youngster, identified only as Ethan, is being treated at a local hospital but is said to be physically unharmed. Officials had previously thanked Dykes for allowing deliveries of medication and toys to the boy, who it is thought he took at random.

The hostage-taking comes amid heightened concerns in the US about gun violence and school safety.

More about: