Police in the US state of Alabama have rescued a five-year-old child who was being held captive in an underground bunker.
FBI agents stormed the bunker where 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes was holed up with the boy.
The siege had lasted seven days, since Dykes had shot a school bus driver and taken the child as he fled.
“Mr Dykes was observed holding a gun. At this point FBI agents fearing the child was in imminent danger entered the bunker and rescued the child. The child appears physically unharmed and is being treated in a local hospital. The subject is deceased.” said FBI agent Steve Richardson.
Negotiations with Dykes, a retired trucker and Vietnam veteran, had deteriorated over the last 24 hours.
The youngster, identified only as Ethan, is being treated at a local hospital but is said to be physically unharmed. Officials had previously thanked Dykes for allowing deliveries of medication and toys to the boy, who it is thought he took at random.
The hostage-taking comes amid heightened concerns in the US about gun violence and school safety.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
- 4Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 5Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 14Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Latest world news
Threat of deportation of baby girl to offshore migrant centre sparks Brisbane protest
Greek farmers camp outside parliament to protest tax reforms
Taiwan quake: rescue efforts over at site of toppled apartment block
Syria seizes village overlooking key rebel areas near Aleppo
‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
Wires > News
- 18:08 CET Russia warns of new Cold War as east Ukraine violence surges
- 18:05 CET Poland wants punishments for use of ‘Polish death camp’ phrase
- 18:01 CET Dangerous cold grips northeast U.S., could break Valentine’s Day…
- 17:51 CET Pope calls on Mexico’s president to fight corruption
- 17:16 CET Turkish forces shell Syrian air base captured by Kurds
- 16:09 CET Merkel urges patience on refugees ahead of crucial state elections
- 15:33 CET Havel’s architect Borek Sipek dies aged 66
- 15:23 CET Oman leader Sultan Qaboos to travel to Germany for medical checks