Police in the US state of Alabama have rescued a five-year-old child who was being held captive in an underground bunker.
FBI agents stormed the bunker where 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes was holed up with the boy.
The siege had lasted seven days, since Dykes had shot a school bus driver and taken the child as he fled.
“Mr Dykes was observed holding a gun. At this point FBI agents fearing the child was in imminent danger entered the bunker and rescued the child. The child appears physically unharmed and is being treated in a local hospital. The subject is deceased.” said FBI agent Steve Richardson.
Negotiations with Dykes, a retired trucker and Vietnam veteran, had deteriorated over the last 24 hours.
The youngster, identified only as Ethan, is being treated at a local hospital but is said to be physically unharmed. Officials had previously thanked Dykes for allowing deliveries of medication and toys to the boy, who it is thought he took at random.
The hostage-taking comes amid heightened concerns in the US about gun violence and school safety.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 04:41 CET China clamps down on 181 “terror gangs” in west
- 00:35 CET Polish president concedes election defeat to conservative…
- 00:24 CET Indonesia’s military creeps back into civilian affairs
- 23:20 CET Libyan government warplanes attack oil tanker docked at Sirte
- 21:11 CET Greece hasn’t got the money to make June IMF repayment – interior…
- 20:54 CET Syria says Islamic State kills hundreds, including children, in…
- 20:27 CET John Nash, mathematician who inspired ‘A Beautiful Mind’, killed…
- 18:50 CET Ex-advisor to Peruvian president disappears in Bolivia