Police in the US state of Alabama have rescued a five-year-old child who was being held captive in an underground bunker.
FBI agents stormed the bunker where 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes was holed up with the boy.
The siege had lasted seven days, since Dykes had shot a school bus driver and taken the child as he fled.
“Mr Dykes was observed holding a gun. At this point FBI agents fearing the child was in imminent danger entered the bunker and rescued the child. The child appears physically unharmed and is being treated in a local hospital. The subject is deceased.” said FBI agent Steve Richardson.
Negotiations with Dykes, a retired trucker and Vietnam veteran, had deteriorated over the last 24 hours.
The youngster, identified only as Ethan, is being treated at a local hospital but is said to be physically unharmed. Officials had previously thanked Dykes for allowing deliveries of medication and toys to the boy, who it is thought he took at random.
The hostage-taking comes amid heightened concerns in the US about gun violence and school safety.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 4Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports
- 19:56 CET Pakistani police arrest 6 suspected militant assassins
- 19:49 CET Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court