Police in the US state of Alabama have rescued a five-year-old child who was being held captive in an underground bunker.
FBI agents stormed the bunker where 65-year-old Jimmy Dykes was holed up with the boy.
The siege had lasted seven days, since Dykes had shot a school bus driver and taken the child as he fled.
“Mr Dykes was observed holding a gun. At this point FBI agents fearing the child was in imminent danger entered the bunker and rescued the child. The child appears physically unharmed and is being treated in a local hospital. The subject is deceased.” said FBI agent Steve Richardson.
Negotiations with Dykes, a retired trucker and Vietnam veteran, had deteriorated over the last 24 hours.
The youngster, identified only as Ethan, is being treated at a local hospital but is said to be physically unharmed. Officials had previously thanked Dykes for allowing deliveries of medication and toys to the boy, who it is thought he took at random.
The hostage-taking comes amid heightened concerns in the US about gun violence and school safety.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
US-Egypt relations return to ‘stronger base’ says John Kerry
Canada PM Stephen Harper announces October 19 election
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Wires > News
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette
- 19:49 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 19:33 CET Plane skids off Indonesian runway, three injured and airport closed
- 19:00 CET Merkel’s German conservatives set sights on absolute majority
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…