EU civil servants called a strike on Tuesday over calls to slash pay and conditions.
The UK, Germany and the Netherlands, want to trim the amount spent on staff.
It amounts to six percent of the bloc’s budget.
This union leader said cuts would make it harder to recruit talent.
“On a vraiment de reel dificultes pour recluter des hommes et des femmes competentes au services de l’europe”.
Another union represenative dimissed concerns over EU pay levels as an “obsession.”
“We have an obsesssion about salaries it’s not that which is important. The most important is the European ideal and to pursure this European project”
Salaries range from two thousand six hundred euros to eighteen thousand.
But it is not tax free.
Eurocrats pay a one-off levy of six percent back into the EU budget.
Income tax rates vary from eight to forty five percent.
Generous perks include an expat allowance that amounts to 16 percent of an official’s salary.
- 1EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 2Austria tops the migrant league
- 3Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 4European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 5Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country