EU civil servants called a strike on Tuesday over calls to slash pay and conditions.
The UK, Germany and the Netherlands, want to trim the amount spent on staff.
It amounts to six percent of the bloc’s budget.
This union leader said cuts would make it harder to recruit talent.
“On a vraiment de reel dificultes pour recluter des hommes et des femmes competentes au services de l’europe”.
Another union represenative dimissed concerns over EU pay levels as an “obsession.”
“We have an obsesssion about salaries it’s not that which is important. The most important is the European ideal and to pursure this European project”
Salaries range from two thousand six hundred euros to eighteen thousand.
But it is not tax free.
Eurocrats pay a one-off levy of six percent back into the EU budget.
Income tax rates vary from eight to forty five percent.
Generous perks include an expat allowance that amounts to 16 percent of an official’s salary.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union