EU civil servants called a strike on Tuesday over calls to slash pay and conditions.
The UK, Germany and the Netherlands, want to trim the amount spent on staff.
It amounts to six percent of the bloc’s budget.
This union leader said cuts would make it harder to recruit talent.
“On a vraiment de reel dificultes pour recluter des hommes et des femmes competentes au services de l’europe”.
Another union represenative dimissed concerns over EU pay levels as an “obsession.”
“We have an obsesssion about salaries it’s not that which is important. The most important is the European ideal and to pursure this European project”
Salaries range from two thousand six hundred euros to eighteen thousand.
But it is not tax free.
Eurocrats pay a one-off levy of six percent back into the EU budget.
Income tax rates vary from eight to forty five percent.
Generous perks include an expat allowance that amounts to 16 percent of an official’s salary.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass