EU civil servants called a strike on Tuesday over calls to slash pay and conditions.
The UK, Germany and the Netherlands, want to trim the amount spent on staff.
It amounts to six percent of the bloc’s budget.
This union leader said cuts would make it harder to recruit talent.
“On a vraiment de reel dificultes pour recluter des hommes et des femmes competentes au services de l’europe”.
Another union represenative dimissed concerns over EU pay levels as an “obsession.”
“We have an obsesssion about salaries it’s not that which is important. The most important is the European ideal and to pursure this European project”
Salaries range from two thousand six hundred euros to eighteen thousand.
But it is not tax free.
Eurocrats pay a one-off levy of six percent back into the EU budget.
Income tax rates vary from eight to forty five percent.
Generous perks include an expat allowance that amounts to 16 percent of an official’s salary.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Europe’s sex slave shame: is enough being done to fight human trafficking?
- 2Protesters surround EU buildings as anti-TTIP anger voiced in Brussels
- 3Belgium gripped by travel chaos as strike takes hold
- 4euronews discusses Russia with Latvian PM after EU summit ends
- 5Chaos or cohesion: how will Europe respond to a major terror attack?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news