EU civil servants called a strike on Tuesday over calls to slash pay and conditions.
The UK, Germany and the Netherlands, want to trim the amount spent on staff.
It amounts to six percent of the bloc’s budget.
This union leader said cuts would make it harder to recruit talent.
“On a vraiment de reel dificultes pour recluter des hommes et des femmes competentes au services de l’europe”.
Another union represenative dimissed concerns over EU pay levels as an “obsession.”
“We have an obsesssion about salaries it’s not that which is important. The most important is the European ideal and to pursure this European project”
Salaries range from two thousand six hundred euros to eighteen thousand.
But it is not tax free.
Eurocrats pay a one-off levy of six percent back into the EU budget.
Income tax rates vary from eight to forty five percent.
Generous perks include an expat allowance that amounts to 16 percent of an official’s salary.
- 1Migrant crisis: Surprise Turkey-Germany proposal for NATO help hijacks meeting
- 2Greece under renewed pressure to help fix migrant crisis
- 3Varoufakis’ new pan-Europe party aims to strengthen democracy
- 4Bid to stop Zeebrugge becoming migrant magnet
- 5Migrant crisis: Turkey-EU ‘lack of trust’ slows action
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
latest europe news
Migrant crisis: Surprise Turkey-Germany proposal for NATO help hijacks meeting
Greece under renewed pressure to help fix migrant crisis
Varoufakis’ new pan-Europe party aims to strengthen democracy
Migrant crisis: Turkey-EU ‘lack of trust’ slows action
EU piles pressure on Turkey to open border to Syrian refugees