Belgium’s most notorious killer has asked to be freed from prison.
Marc Dutroux says if his request is granted, he will wear an ankle bracelet so his whereabouts can be monitored.
Dutroux, who is now 56, is serving a life term for kidnapping, torturing and abusing six girls in the 1990s and murdering four of them.
Prison officials and prosecutors have recommended Dutroux remain in prison.
I think his file is not ready to get him released. I even think that persons like him never should have the opportunity to be released. And I guess that when you know how, what kind of things he did, when you know the file a little bit, then it is impossible for the Belgian government to release somebody like him.” said Luc Delbrouck, the lawyer for the family of one of the victims.
The victims were kept in a makeshift dungeon hidden behind a door in Dutroux’s house in the Belgian town of Marcinelles.
A decision is due later this month.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports