Belgium’s most notorious killer has asked to be freed from prison.
Marc Dutroux says if his request is granted, he will wear an ankle bracelet so his whereabouts can be monitored.
Dutroux, who is now 56, is serving a life term for kidnapping, torturing and abusing six girls in the 1990s and murdering four of them.
Prison officials and prosecutors have recommended Dutroux remain in prison.
I think his file is not ready to get him released. I even think that persons like him never should have the opportunity to be released. And I guess that when you know how, what kind of things he did, when you know the file a little bit, then it is impossible for the Belgian government to release somebody like him.” said Luc Delbrouck, the lawyer for the family of one of the victims.
The victims were kept in a makeshift dungeon hidden behind a door in Dutroux’s house in the Belgian town of Marcinelles.
A decision is due later this month.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:05 CET Former Australian PM Gough Whitlam dies at 98
- 23:49 CET South Sudan sexual violence ‘rampant,’ two-year-old raped – U.N.
- 23:09 CET Polish ex-minister quoted saying Putin offered to divide Ukraine…
- 22:53 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 21:58 CET Israelis quietly expand enclave in Palestinian district of…
- 21:19 CET Iran arrests suspects after acid attacks on women in Isfahan
- 21:09 CET Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- 21:07 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights