Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has criticised as “very ugly” a decision by the country’s judiciary to arrest one of his close allies.
Saeed Mortazavi is Tehran’s former prosecutor.
He was previously suspended from his post over the deaths of three protesters in custody following the 2009 presidential election.
There’s been no official explanation for his detention.
But some reports suggest it could be linked to a growing rift between Ahmadinejad and Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei.
With the presidential election just four months away, a power struggle between the two appears to be intensifying.
It even spilled over into a parliamentary session two days ago when Mortazavi’s name came up during an unprecedented public row.
Ahmadinejad hit out at one of Khamenei’s closest allies, accusing the parliamentary speaker’s family of corruption.
Iran’s president was vehemently opposed to parliament’s call for Mortazavi’s dismissal and has promised a full investigation on his return from talks in Egypt.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 4Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports
- 19:56 CET Pakistani police arrest 6 suspected militant assassins
- 19:49 CET Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court