05/02/13 17:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has criticised as “very ugly” a decision by the country’s judiciary to arrest one of his close allies.
Saeed Mortazavi is Tehran’s former prosecutor.
He was previously suspended from his post over the deaths of three protesters in custody following the 2009 presidential election.
There’s been no official explanation for his detention.
But some reports suggest it could be linked to a growing rift between Ahmadinejad and Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei.
With the presidential election just four months away, a power struggle between the two appears to be intensifying.
It even spilled over into a parliamentary session two days ago when Mortazavi’s name came up during an unprecedented public row.
Ahmadinejad hit out at one of Khamenei’s closest allies, accusing the parliamentary speaker’s family of corruption.
Iran’s president was vehemently opposed to parliament’s call for Mortazavi’s dismissal and has promised a full investigation on his return from talks in Egypt.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
End of May Hong Kong sale to feature world’s biggest green diamond
Papa Wemba buried in Kinshasa
Israeli authorities discuss a halt on returning attackers’ bodies
Wires > News
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:36 CET Russia’s FSB says arrests group planning attack in Moscow region -…
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…
- 17:25 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen poses growing threat to shipping – naval force