Unverified video uploaded to the internet purports to show a military MIG 33 being shot down by Syrian rebel group the Unified Brigade Sons of Hama.
The fourth-largest city in Syria, Hama has been the scene of fierce fighting during the war lasting almost two years.
UN figures now put the death toll in the Syrian conflict at more than 60,000.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has accused Israel of ‘collaboration with the hostile foreign powers and their tools in Syria’, according to the country’s news agency.
Assad’s comments, made during a meeting on Sunday with Saeed Jalili, head of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, are the first time the president has spoke about the bombing since it happened nearly one week ago.
Assad also warned Israel that Syria is “capable of repelling any aggression”.
Apparently acknowledging an attack on January 30th on what it calls an ‘arms complex’, Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said it shows Israel is serious about preventing the flow of heavy weapons into Lebanon.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[Live updates] Russian Parliament could vote Crimea annexation March 21
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 16:06 CET Kenyan leader, cabinet cut own pay to curb government wage bill
- 15:48 CET Saudi sentences three suspected militants to death for 2003 bombing
- 15:46 CET Suspected Russian spyware Turla targets Europe, U.S.
- 15:28 CET Luxembourg’s Juncker wins centre-right backing in bid for top …
- 15:09 CET Turkish president rejects Facebook, YouTube ban over wiretaps
- 15:01 CET Latin American presidents to discuss Venezuela unrest, Ecuador says
- 14:59 CET Kerry in Jordan for talks on Middle East peace
- 14:58 CET Saudi Arabia designates Muslim Brotherhood as terrorist group-…