Unverified video uploaded to the internet purports to show a military MIG 33 being shot down by Syrian rebel group the Unified Brigade Sons of Hama.
The fourth-largest city in Syria, Hama has been the scene of fierce fighting during the war lasting almost two years.
UN figures now put the death toll in the Syrian conflict at more than 60,000.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has accused Israel of ‘collaboration with the hostile foreign powers and their tools in Syria’, according to the country’s news agency.
Assad’s comments, made during a meeting on Sunday with Saeed Jalili, head of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, are the first time the president has spoke about the bombing since it happened nearly one week ago.
Assad also warned Israel that Syria is “capable of repelling any aggression”.
Apparently acknowledging an attack on January 30th on what it calls an ‘arms complex’, Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said it shows Israel is serious about preventing the flow of heavy weapons into Lebanon.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Topless FEMEN protesters storm German football TV show
- 2Britain’s Queen Elizabeth goes nuts over nibbles at Buckingham Palace
- 3China and South Korea react to execution of Jang Song Thaek
- 4North Korea outrage over behaviour of Kim Jong-un’s uncle
- 5CCTV footage of suicide bomb attack on Yemen Defence Ministry released
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 20:25 CET Gunmen shoot dead 18 gas workers in northeast Iraq – witnesses
- 20:20 CET New leader Renzi boosts support for Italy’s main ruling party
- 19:59 CET U.S. sanctions move angers Iran, Russia sees threat to nuclear deal
- 19:41 CET U.S., Chinese warships narrowly avoid collision in South China Sea
- 19:04 CET Merkel cedes control of energy shift to rival SPD
- 18:47 CET Spain targets political parties with new anti-corruption law
- 18:41 CET India calls for quick action after diplomat arrested in New York
- 17:47 CET Brazil’s Rousseff popularity keeps climbing ahead of 2014 vote