Unverified video uploaded to the internet purports to show a military MIG 33 being shot down by Syrian rebel group the Unified Brigade Sons of Hama.
The fourth-largest city in Syria, Hama has been the scene of fierce fighting during the war lasting almost two years.
UN figures now put the death toll in the Syrian conflict at more than 60,000.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has accused Israel of ‘collaboration with the hostile foreign powers and their tools in Syria’, according to the country’s news agency.
Assad’s comments, made during a meeting on Sunday with Saeed Jalili, head of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, are the first time the president has spoke about the bombing since it happened nearly one week ago.
Assad also warned Israel that Syria is “capable of repelling any aggression”.
Apparently acknowledging an attack on January 30th on what it calls an ‘arms complex’, Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said it shows Israel is serious about preventing the flow of heavy weapons into Lebanon.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘At the end the Germans always win’
- 2Russia warns Ukraine after man killed by shelling in border town
- 3Netanyahu says Gaza campaign may take ‘a long time’
- 4Russia signs nuclear deals with Argentina during Putin’s tour of Latin America
- 5Hundreds of dual nationality Palestinians and foreigners leave Gaza
- 1Vladimir Putin receives a warm welcome from Cold War ally Cuba
- 2Ukraine: thousands of people flee Donetsk as government forces get closer
- 3Poroshenko vows revenge on rebels after heavy Ukraine army losses
- 4Iron Dome wards off Israeli casualties
- 5Israel preparing for ‘all possibilities’ in Gaza, says Netanyahu
Wires > News
- 03:22 CET Japan’s ruling party loses local vote after security policy shift
- 01:07 CET Eight killed in blasts in Egypt’s Sinai region
- 20:55 CET Taliban survivor Malala, in Nigeria, pledges to help free girls
- 20:11 CET U.S. concerned foreign fighters in Syria are working with Yemenis
- 19:49 CET Boko Haram leader claims blast in Nigeria’s Lagos
- 19:00 CET Georgia’s ruling party sweeps to victory in local election runoffs
- 18:49 CET In Nigeria, Boko Haram-style violence radiates southwards
- 18:24 CET An embrace and a handshake: how John Kerry brokered peace between…