A power cut at the stadium during the Super Bowl was not enough to stop the Baltimore Ravens winning American football’s greatest competition.
The game being held at the New Orleans Superdome was paused for over half an hour when lights in a section of the stadium went out.
The New Orleans Superdome was hosting the event for the first time since Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
The Ravens beat the San Francisco 49ers with a final score of 34-31. Quarterback for the Ravens Joe Flacco was named the Most Valuable Player.
The 34 minute power cut helped the 49ers, who were able to catch up, scoring 17 unanswered points. Nevertheless, that was not enough to catch up to the Raven.
There was also an element of sibling rivalry. Head coach for the Ravens is John Harbaugh – his younger brother Jim has the equivalent job at the 49ers.
After all the furore over Beyonce’s pre-recorded performance at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, she sang live during the Super Bowl half-time show.
Entertainment was a female affair, with Alicia Keys playing the piano and singing the national anthem before the game and Jennifer Hudson joining the Sandy Hook Elementary school choir for America the Beautiful.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 4NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 5Latest News Bulletin
- 6At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 7Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 18[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 19Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 20Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
Wires > News
- 07:24 CET China says let’s toughen ties as North Korea celebrates anniversary
- 06:08 CET China completes construction of lighthouses in South China Sea
- 05:38 CET Russia, Ukraine fail to reach deal on Kiev debt to Moscow, talks…
- 01:59 CET Student charged with killing one, wounding three at Arizona…
- 01:43 CET China says U.S. human rights report biased
- 01:11 CET Western countries say endorse unity government for Libya
- 00:56 CET Gunmen kill three Burkina Faso gendarmes near Mali border
- 00:26 CET Exclusive – U.S. warns governments, bankers Iran sanctions still…