A power cut at the stadium during the Super Bowl was not enough to stop the Baltimore Ravens winning American football’s greatest competition.
The game being held at the New Orleans Superdome was paused for over half an hour when lights in a section of the stadium went out.
The New Orleans Superdome was hosting the event for the first time since Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
The Ravens beat the San Francisco 49ers with a final score of 34-31. Quarterback for the Ravens Joe Flacco was named the Most Valuable Player.
The 34 minute power cut helped the 49ers, who were able to catch up, scoring 17 unanswered points. Nevertheless, that was not enough to catch up to the Raven.
There was also an element of sibling rivalry. Head coach for the Ravens is John Harbaugh – his younger brother Jim has the equivalent job at the 49ers.
After all the furore over Beyonce’s pre-recorded performance at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, she sang live during the Super Bowl half-time show.
Entertainment was a female affair, with Alicia Keys playing the piano and singing the national anthem before the game and Jennifer Hudson joining the Sandy Hook Elementary school choir for America the Beautiful.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 21:00 CET How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 20:34 CET Avalanche kills 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount Everest
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports
- 19:56 CET Pakistani police arrest 6 suspected militant assassins
- 19:49 CET Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court
- 19:17 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV