Gregor Schlierenzauer rewrote the history books on Sunday by setting the record for most career World Cup ski jumping victories.
The 23-year-old Austrian beat the previous record tally of Matti Nykanen earlier on Sunday when he claimed his 47th triumph of his career.
But then later in the day he made it 48 with another victory on the flying hill in Harrachov, the Czech Republic.
Schlierenzauer, who jumped 197.5 for his second win of the day, is the runaway overall leader and after 19 of 28 events he has 1200 points – 443 points clear of closest challenger Anders Bardal of Norway.
Jan Matura gave the partisan crowd something to cheer about when the Czech landed a jump of 194.5 metres to garner 187.2 points and take the runners up spot in the second event of Sunday.
The 33 year old – who is now seventh in the overall title race – finished 4.6 points behind Schlierenzauer.
Jurij Tepes rounded off the afternoon’s podium in third place. The Slovenian was 1.1 points behind after a leap of 193.5 metres.
It was his first individual podium of the season but third overall after helping Slovenia to victory in the team events in Zakopane last month and a third place finish in Kussamo in November.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 19Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 07:56 CET Australia chase down victory in Brisbane
- 00:06 CET Kenya’s marathon queen Jeptoo fails second doping test
- 22:27 CET Hughes tragedy overshadows eventful year
- 22:08 CET U.S. swimmer Phelps sentenced to 18 months probation for drunken…
- 20:54 CET F1 showed its best and worst in 2014
- 20:43 CET ‘Celtic Tiger’ McIlroy emerges dominant in 2014
- 20:38 CET Billion dollar Sochi Games a sporting success
- 20:31 CET Five talking points for sports in 2014