The European Commission rebuked Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta on Monday for failing to meet EU demands to uphold the rule of law and urged him to speed up reforms.
In a report published last week, the EU’s executive said Romania’s justice system and anti-corruption measures were not strong enough. It conceded the country had taken some steps in recent months to safeguard constitutional law.
Romania will remain under special European Union monitoring and be excluded from the passport-free Schengen zone.
President of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barros said: “We need to see further progress on independence of the judiciary and appointment of two key-posts.”
He added: “We will also look to politicians to set an example by stepping aside where integrity rulings or corruption charges exist.”
Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta insisted his government had addressed all concerns, including those about press freedom: “The freedom of media in Romania like in the whole of Europe is going to be respected and is going to be considered as a fundamental value.”
Another European Commission report into the country’s progress will be published at the end of the year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news