Belgium’s most notorious criminal has asked a court to grant him early release from prison.
Marc Dutroux was convicted of abducting, imprisoning and raping six young girls in 2004.
He was given a life sentence after being found guilty of murdering two of the girls at a house in the town of Marcinelles.
Feelings in the town remain strong. “He should not be let out if he hasn’t done the full sentence,” said one woman, “in some cases yes but this one no.”
Dutroux is in total isolation in prison and has no contact with other inmates. Prison authorities say this is for his own safety.
He wants to be released to house arrest with electronic tagging after having served 16 years of his jail term.
His lawyer Pierre Deutsch admits reprisals are an issue to be considered. “Most people are more accepting than you would imagine, but it is true that some weirdos want to hurt him, and he is aware of that and that is why we will not say where he might go if he is released,” he said.
Dutroux kept his victims in the basement of his house. His ex-wife Michelle Martin was sentenced to 30 years for her part in the crime but released last July. A decision is not expected until the middle of the month.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 04:27 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion
- 04:26 CET India hangs man convicted of 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts
- 03:03 CET Authorities study debris found off Madagascar for links to MH370
- 02:30 CET U.S. says Europeans could help more in South China Sea dispute
- 02:01 CET Israel approves new homes in settlement after demolishing two…
- 00:49 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 00:14 CET Top U.S. general says Iran deal lowers near-term atomic arms risk
- 21:24 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France