The 15-year-old Pakistani activist, shot in the head by the Taliban last October, says her health is “getting better, day by day.”
Malala Yousefzai gave her first video statement just before undergoing further surgery in Britain at the weekend. It was released on Monday.
“God has given me this new life, and this is a second life, this is a new life. And I was to serve. I want to serve the people. And I wanted every girl, every child, to be educated. For that reason, we have organised the Malala fund,” she said.
The teenager had been promoting education for girls in the Swat Valley where she lived when she was critically injured.
The shooting sparked outrage around the world and Malala even made the shortlist for Time magazine’s
“Person of the Year”.
Doctors have reconstructed parts of her skull with a titanium plate and restored her hearing.
She is expected to remain in the UK for some time.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 13:39 CET African Union authorises bigger force for C. African Republic
- 13:28 CET Tunisia’s Islamists, opposition to name premier
- 12:48 CET Nigeria’s Boko Haram claims northeast barracks attack
- 12:42 CET Fukushima contractor sanctioned by Japan labour regulator
- 12:29 CET Iran official says U.S. sanctions violate Geneva deal spirit
- 11:45 CET Sex video case lands another China official in jail
- 11:17 CET Japan should embrace nuclear power, government panel says
- 11:11 CET Insight – In Yemen, al Qaeda gains sympathy amid US drone strikes