US Secretary of State John Kerry has started his first day in office with a witty and joke-filled speech to his staff.
The former senator and 2004 Democratic presidential candidate was cheered by his foreign service employees. He succeeds female secretaries Condoleezza Rice and Hillary Clinton.
“Can a man actually run the State Department? I don’t know. As the saying goes: I have big heels to fill,” he joked.
Kerry takes over just after the Turkish embassy bomb, with diplomats on high alert.
“Everything I do will be focused on the security and safety of our people,” he said.
Kerry is the son of a diplomat and is expected to continue along the same lines as Hillary Clinton, who left plenty of unfinished business.
“Secretary Kerry now has a lot on his plate. The situations in Iran, Africa and the Middle East require his full attention. And as the bombing of the US embassy in Ankara, Turkey, has shown, America remains vulnerable abroad,” says euronews’ Stefan Grobe.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 13:34 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 13:29 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 13:25 CET Indonesia’s ex-general Prabowo edges closer to presidential race
- 13:19 CET Italy government prepares to approve tax cuts
- 13:06 CET Libyan kidnappers of Tunisian diplomat demand Islamists’ release -…
- 12:30 CET Vice principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 12:23 CET At least 12 Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 11:55 CET Labour Party hires Obama strategist for 2015 poll