The funeral of an activist allegedly “tortured to death” has given Egyptian protesters another reason to be angry at the president.
Twenty-eight year old Mohammed el-Gindy died on Monday morning after being arrested on Friday and spending time in the intensive care unit of a Cairo hospital.
An opposition party has claimed that el-Gindy had been electrocuted and had repeatedly had his head beaten by the police.
In a statement, the Egyptian Popular Current party said el-Gindy had been “tortured to death”.
Activist Salley Toma accused police of being heavy-handed and causing Mohammed’s death.
‘‘We have seen the signs of torture on his neck, tongue and other parts of his body. He was exposed to excessive torture,” she said.
“We thought that we were done with torture and that it ended after the Mubarak era. The martyr Mohammed el-Gindy may have even voted for President Mohamed Mursi,” she added.
El-Gindy’s funeral, attended by hundreds of people, coincided with another for an activist killed in the recent clashes.
Fifty-nine lives have been lost in the past week, making it the bloodiest period of president Mohamed Mursi’s seven months in power.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:53 CET United States, Egypt begin first strategic dialogue since 2009
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777
- 10:41 CET Grassroots mayors embody Spain’s divisions as election nears
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment