The French and Italian heads of state have met in Paris, a few days ahead of the next round of EU budget talks in Brussels on Thursday.
The 27-nation bloc failed to agree on its one trillion euro budget at the last meeting in November.
Hollande told reporters they would do everything to reach an agreement at the summit, but conditions are not yet right.
“I hope we are able to reach agreement next week,” said Monti,“while trying to respect the package which we had difficulties negotiating in November.”
Monti wants a reform of the EU system of rebates, while Hollande is concerned about the recent strengthening of the euro.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 14:05 CET Hagel in Kabul amid crisis over vital U.S., Afghan security pact
- 13:53 CET Sports-mad South Africa salutes Mandela ‘The Captain’
- 13:22 CET Thailand will help with any Rohingya investigation – PM
- 10:33 CET Missing Syrian nuns appear in video, saying they are well
- 07:24 CET Australia foreign minister downplays China air defence zone…
- 07:09 CET U.S. commitment to Middle East security proven, enduring – Hagel
- 06:19 CET Australia celebrates first same-sex marriages ahead of court…
- 02:27 CET France struggles in EU to stem low-cost foreign workers