The French and Italian heads of state have met in Paris, a few days ahead of the next round of EU budget talks in Brussels on Thursday.
The 27-nation bloc failed to agree on its one trillion euro budget at the last meeting in November.
Hollande told reporters they would do everything to reach an agreement at the summit, but conditions are not yet right.
“I hope we are able to reach agreement next week,” said Monti,“while trying to respect the package which we had difficulties negotiating in November.”
Monti wants a reform of the EU system of rebates, while Hollande is concerned about the recent strengthening of the euro.
Wires > News
- 03:19 CET Leader of Western Sahara independence movement dies after illness
- 02:27 CET Four dead in collapse at South Korea subway construction site
- 02:08 CET Japan PM to postpone sales tax rise, snap election off table for…
- 01:41 CET Airbus says EgyptAir strengthens case for ejectable ‘black boxes’
- 01:32 CET As Beijing flexes muscles in South China Sea, Malaysia eyes harder…
- 01:18 CET Combative Trump says he raised $5.6 million for vets, bashes media
- 23:58 CET UAE frees Canadian man acquitted of militancy, set to leave Weds
- 23:01 CET Philippines president-elect says won’t rely on United States