The French and Italian heads of state have met in Paris, a few days ahead of the next round of EU budget talks in Brussels on Thursday.
The 27-nation bloc failed to agree on its one trillion euro budget at the last meeting in November.
Hollande told reporters they would do everything to reach an agreement at the summit, but conditions are not yet right.
“I hope we are able to reach agreement next week,” said Monti,“while trying to respect the package which we had difficulties negotiating in November.”
Monti wants a reform of the EU system of rebates, while Hollande is concerned about the recent strengthening of the euro.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 20:45 CET Iran, world powers hold ‘substantive and useful’ nuclear talks
- 20:44 CET Yemen names new oil and interior ministers – state news agency
- 20:40 CET U.S. State Department says June deadline on Syria chemical weapons…
- 19:58 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis-media
- 19:44 CET Sarkozy’s phone tapped by investigators – Le Monde
- 19:38 CET Gaza Palestinians protest Egypt’s Hamas ban
- 19:29 CET South Africa, Rwanda expel diplomats in row over Rwandan exiles
- 18:49 CET Zimbabwe’s opposition suspends official who asked leader to quit