The French and Italian heads of state have met in Paris, a few days ahead of the next round of EU budget talks in Brussels on Thursday.
The 27-nation bloc failed to agree on its one trillion euro budget at the last meeting in November.
Hollande told reporters they would do everything to reach an agreement at the summit, but conditions are not yet right.
“I hope we are able to reach agreement next week,” said Monti,“while trying to respect the package which we had difficulties negotiating in November.”
Monti wants a reform of the EU system of rebates, while Hollande is concerned about the recent strengthening of the euro.
- 1Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 2Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Russian ruble keeps rolling out in ‘Donetsk People’s Republic’
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 11:40 CET Global football officials arrested in U.S., Swiss corruption cases
- 11:35 CET Over 2,500 migrants still adrift, UN says ahead of SE Asia meeting
- 11:31 CET Arab forces strike Houthi-held Yemen military port – local official
- 11:24 CET Danish PM calls general election on June 18
- 11:20 CET Belgian flights halted after air traffic technical issue
- 10:17 CET U.S., South Korea, Japan seek to raise pressure on North’s nuclear…
- 10:01 CET Japan, Philippines to deepen ties as China asserts sea claims
- 08:04 CET Erdogan aims to turn Turkey into major defence industry power