Former Cuban President Fidel Castro has made a rare appearance, venturing outside his home to vote in the country’s parliamentary elections.
Eighty-six-year-old Castro hasn’t been seen for in public for several months due to ill health.
Speaking to reporters, he praised participation in Sunday’s election.
“I’m sure that the (Cuban) people are truly revolutionary. They have made enormous sacrifices. I don’t have to prove it; history did. Fifty years of the US embargo and the Americans haven’t been successful.”
Cubans voted to elect national and provincial assemblies but all candidates have been picked by the Communist party or its affiliates.
In three previous elections over the past six years, the frail ex-leader voted from his home.
Castro handed over to his younger brother Raul in 2008 after almost five decades in power.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 9Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 14Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 15British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 16Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 17The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 18Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:21 CET Thai junta says will help kick-start stalled Dawei talks
- 09:17 CET Groundhog Day in Bulgaria as new election looms
- 08:39 CET North Korea, already under UN sanctions, prepares launch site for…
- 07:55 CET Gulf Arabs demand return of state authority in Yemen
- 06:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. nears solution for safe disposal of Ebola waste
- 05:35 CET Mexico arrests drug lord Beltran Leyva posing as businessman
- 03:58 CET Palestinians draft U.N. resolution on ending Israel occupation
- 03:06 CET Greenland votes to hold parliamentary election in November