Former Cuban President Fidel Castro has made a rare appearance, venturing outside his home to vote in the country’s parliamentary elections.
Eighty-six-year-old Castro hasn’t been seen for in public for several months due to ill health.
Speaking to reporters, he praised participation in Sunday’s election.
“I’m sure that the (Cuban) people are truly revolutionary. They have made enormous sacrifices. I don’t have to prove it; history did. Fifty years of the US embargo and the Americans haven’t been successful.”
Cubans voted to elect national and provincial assemblies but all candidates have been picked by the Communist party or its affiliates.
In three previous elections over the past six years, the frail ex-leader voted from his home.
Castro handed over to his younger brother Raul in 2008 after almost five decades in power.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Moscow criticised for flattening kiosks
Spanish speleologists rescued from French abyss
IMF warns Ukraine to tackle corruption or bailout stops
Italian paramilitary police arrest 109 suspected Mafia members
France: MPs back constitutional changes to strip passports from those convicted of terrorism
Wires > News
- 20:32 CET Republican Christie assesses future of White House bid
- 20:24 CET Damascus expects tough but short battle for Aleppo
- 20:12 CET Argentine football team Huracan’s bus overturns in Venezuela…
- 20:05 CET Poland to join fight vs Islamic State in return for NATO help in…
- 19:56 CET Female suicide bombers kill over 60 people in northeast Nigeria -…
- 19:08 CET World’s top scientists pledge to share all findings to fight Zika
- 18:16 CET German train crash investigators focus on signal controller -…
- 18:14 CET Iraqi PM’s bid to reshuffle cabinet could cost him his job