Former Cuban President Fidel Castro has made a rare appearance, venturing outside his home to vote in the country’s parliamentary elections.
Eighty-six-year-old Castro hasn’t been seen for in public for several months due to ill health.
Speaking to reporters, he praised participation in Sunday’s election.
“I’m sure that the (Cuban) people are truly revolutionary. They have made enormous sacrifices. I don’t have to prove it; history did. Fifty years of the US embargo and the Americans haven’t been successful.”
Cubans voted to elect national and provincial assemblies but all candidates have been picked by the Communist party or its affiliates.
In three previous elections over the past six years, the frail ex-leader voted from his home.
Castro handed over to his younger brother Raul in 2008 after almost five decades in power.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:58 CET U.S., allies focus on Iraq in latest air strikes -task force…
- 15:51 CET Sudan’s youth activists battle restraints and apathy
- 15:50 CET Spain’s latest political upstart rides high on message of…
- 15:41 CET Sudan’s Bashir heads to Indonesia in rare long-distance trip
- 15:30 CET Thousands of Yemeni troops pledge backing for exiled leader
- 15:16 CET Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are a U.S. ‘myth’
- 15:02 CET France seeks to resolve Russian Mistral ‘crisis’ – Hollande
- 14:48 CET India’s enigmatic Gandhi fires up opposition at farmers rally