The body of Cambodia’s former King Norodom Sihanouk has been cremated in the capital Phnom Penh.
Since his death in October he had lain in state. On Friday he was paraded through the capital, and on Monday the pyre was lit by his widow Queen Monique and the son he abdicated for, King Norodom Sihamoni, in 2004.
A number of foreign dignitaries were present to honour the man who became a teenage king in 1941 as world war was raging around his country, including the French prime minister and the brother of the Japanese Crown Prince.
Sihanouk led Cambodia to independence from France in 1953, but in 1970 became a prisoner in his own palace as a coup and then the Khmer Rouge left two million of his people dead. They included five of his own children.
A survivor, he returned to the throne in 1993, and his darker side, past alliances with the Khmer and supression of dissent, have been set aside as the people mourn and praise the man many call their “King-Father”.
His giant personality meant he retained great influence until the end, and that has been seen in the tens of thousands of Cambodians who have come from all over the country to pay their last respects.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:53 CET United States, Egypt begin first strategic dialogue since 2009
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777
- 10:41 CET Grassroots mayors embody Spain’s divisions as election nears
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment