Belgian paedophile and child killer, Marc Dutroux, has appeared before a court in Brussels.
He was asking to be released early and placed under house arrest with an electronic tag.
The 56 year old was sentenced to life for the kidnap and rape of six girls, and four murders. He has served nearly sixteen years.
Police blunders meant that although he was arrested in 1995, his case wasn’t heard until 2004.
Protestors gathered outside the Palais de Justice. One protestor said: “impossible, it should never be allowed, it’s impossible, it’s hard to believe.”
Another added: “The type of clemency that he wants now, he never showed for anyone. Above all he shows no regret, he has no regret. Leave him in jail.”
Security at the court was tight – and expensive – at a cost of €50,000.
A ruling is not expected before 18 February and no release can be made before 30 April.
Belgium is agog with the sudden new developments of the Dutroux case. It’s one of the worst cases in the Judicial history of the country.
Some families of the victims are questioning the efficiency of the Belgian justice system and have taken their case to the European Court of Human Rights.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union