Belgian paedophile and child killer, Marc Dutroux, has appeared before a court in Brussels.
He was asking to be released early and placed under house arrest with an electronic tag.
The 56 year old was sentenced to life for the kidnap and rape of six girls, and four murders. He has served nearly sixteen years.
Police blunders meant that although he was arrested in 1995, his case wasn’t heard until 2004.
Protestors gathered outside the Palais de Justice. One protestor said: “impossible, it should never be allowed, it’s impossible, it’s hard to believe.”
Another added: “The type of clemency that he wants now, he never showed for anyone. Above all he shows no regret, he has no regret. Leave him in jail.”
Security at the court was tight – and expensive – at a cost of €50,000.
A ruling is not expected before 18 February and no release can be made before 30 April.
Belgium is agog with the sudden new developments of the Dutroux case. It’s one of the worst cases in the Judicial history of the country.
Some families of the victims are questioning the efficiency of the Belgian justice system and have taken their case to the European Court of Human Rights.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]