Belgian paedophile and child killer, Marc Dutroux, has appeared before a court in Brussels.
He was asking to be released early and placed under house arrest with an electronic tag.
The 56 year old was sentenced to life for the kidnap and rape of six girls, and four murders. He has served nearly sixteen years.
Police blunders meant that although he was arrested in 1995, his case wasn’t heard until 2004.
Protestors gathered outside the Palais de Justice. One protestor said: “impossible, it should never be allowed, it’s impossible, it’s hard to believe.”
Another added: “The type of clemency that he wants now, he never showed for anyone. Above all he shows no regret, he has no regret. Leave him in jail.”
Security at the court was tight – and expensive – at a cost of €50,000.
A ruling is not expected before 18 February and no release can be made before 30 April.
Belgium is agog with the sudden new developments of the Dutroux case. It’s one of the worst cases in the Judicial history of the country.
Some families of the victims are questioning the efficiency of the Belgian justice system and have taken their case to the European Court of Human Rights.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21