03/02/13 01:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A far-left Turkish terrorist group has claimed a suicide attack on the US embassy in Ankara.
The Revolutionary People’s Liberation Army-Front posted details on a website with a picture of the bomber Ecevit Sanli.
A Turkish security guard and the bomber died in the blast.
Investigators say Sanli had travelled from Germany and was armed with high-explosives and grenades.
Three people have been arrested.
The group is virulently opposed to the United States and accused the Turkish prime minister of being a ‘puppet’ of Washington.
It wants the US to remove Patriot missiles deployed in Turkey as a defence against the violence in neighbouring Syria.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 3Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
EgyptAir crash: ‘suggestion of explosion on board,’ says Egyptian forensic official
Iran appoints hardliner Ahmad Jannati to lead powerful assembly
Obama ‘significantly concerned’ about civil liberties in Vietnam
Greece begins evacuation of Idomeni refugee camp
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Wires > News
- 13:44 CET Britain investigating reports its cluster bombs used in Yemen
- 13:35 CET Italy’s 5-Star sees Rome vote paving way to government
- 13:34 CET Rome prosecutors suspect mafia of rigging exam for prison guard…
- 13:09 CET French police break up refinery blockade in anti-reform showdown
- 13:08 CET Israel resumes cement shipments for private Gaza reconstruction…
- 13:00 CET Greece starts moving migrants camped at border to state facilities
- 12:59 CET Cyprus president cuts short Turkey trip after protocol row
- 12:55 CET Surge in eastern fighting kills seven Ukrainian soldiers – official