More than 5,000 supporters of Greece’s far-right Golden Dawn party have marched to commemorate a 1996 military crisis which cost the lives of three navy officers and brought Greece and Turkey to the brink of war.
During the rally, protesters chanted anti-Turkish, anti-US and anti-immigrant slogans while carrying torches and Greek flags.
Golden Dawn leader Nikolaos Mihaloliakos addressed the crowd of nationalist supporters, speaking about what became known as the “Imia incident”.
The military crisis in January 1996 was sparked by a complicated dispute over two uninhabited islets in the Aegean Sea between the coast of Turkey and the Greek island chain of the Dodecanese, which the Greeks have always claimed but whose sovereignty is disputed by Turkey.
“A piece of Greek land became disputed. But there is no dispute in our hearts. It is Greek, but they don’t see that. As the years pass, they will see it and if they don’t know it, we will state it publicly,” Mihaloliakos said.
The march was incident-free.
- 1United Arab Emrates leads way with planned mission to Mars
- 2Afghanistan wedding party ends in massacre
- 3Growing tension over new Turkish military offensive in Syria and Iraq
- 4Kurdish women fighting ISIL on the frontline
- 5Fires: thousands in emergency shelters as huge blazes take hold in France and Spain
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 4Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 5Anger over ‘slaughter of 250 pilot whales’ in the Faroe Islands
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Boy Scouts of America lift ban on gay leaders
South Sudan families are reunited after being torn part by civil war
South Sudan set to dominate Obama address to African Union
Turkey and the US plan ‘ISIL-free’ buffer zone in northern Syria
EU foreign policy chief tries to reassure Mideast allies over Iran deal
Wires > News
- 07:29 CET U.S. military exhumes remains of unidentified victims of Pearl…
- 06:18 CET El Salvador violence surges after gang order for bus drivers to…
- 05:56 CET Boy Scouts lift blanket ban on gay adult leaders, employees
- 04:57 CET Malaysian media report PM to drop deputy after 1MDB criticism
- 04:18 CET South Korea declares country effectively out of MERS danger
- 04:05 CET U.S. House Benghazi panel says State Department to hand over…
- 00:45 CET Libyan city Benghazi plunges into darkness as fighting hits power…
- 23:44 CET Turkey, U.S. aim for zone cleared of Islamic State in northern…