More than 5,000 supporters of Greece’s far-right Golden Dawn party have marched to commemorate a 1996 military crisis which cost the lives of three navy officers and brought Greece and Turkey to the brink of war.
During the rally, protesters chanted anti-Turkish, anti-US and anti-immigrant slogans while carrying torches and Greek flags.
Golden Dawn leader Nikolaos Mihaloliakos addressed the crowd of nationalist supporters, speaking about what became known as the “Imia incident”.
The military crisis in January 1996 was sparked by a complicated dispute over two uninhabited islets in the Aegean Sea between the coast of Turkey and the Greek island chain of the Dodecanese, which the Greeks have always claimed but whose sovereignty is disputed by Turkey.
“A piece of Greek land became disputed. But there is no dispute in our hearts. It is Greek, but they don’t see that. As the years pass, they will see it and if they don’t know it, we will state it publicly,” Mihaloliakos said.
The march was incident-free.
- 1Conservative coalition on course for another win in Portuguese elections
- 2Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 3Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 4Flash floods in France leave a trail of death and destruction
- 5French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2German interior minister criticises lack of appreciation from some refugees
- 3ISIL operations centre in Idlib, Syria ‘destroyed’ by Russian airstrike
- 4Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 5Russian action ‘resets chessboard in Syria,’ says analyst
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Latest world news
Portugal’s centre-right is re-elected in parliamentary poll
French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
Turkish president accused of electioneering on foreign trip
Israeli police and Palestinians clash after stabbing attacks
Thousands attend funeral ceremony in Tehran for Hajj crush victims
Wires > News
- 03:16 CET Islamic State militants blow up ancient Arch of Triumph in Palmyra
- 00:44 CET Russia is conducting ‘asymmetric warfare’ in Syria – Hammond
- 22:44 CET Iraqi PM opens Baghdad’s fortified ‘Green Zone’ to public
- 22:19 CET Brazil attorney general urges new judge for key Rousseff case
- 21:44 CET Pakistani Taliban says hanged military officer as revenge for…
- 21:07 CET Putin promised to ask Ukraine rebels to cancel vote – Poroshenko
- 19:59 CET Turkey’s ruling AK Party backs presidential system in poll…
- 19:34 CET German finance minister says need to limit number of refugees…