03/02/13 17:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Spain’s Prime Minister is facing fresh calls to quit over claims he took money from a secret bank account run by his Popular Party’s former treasurer.
Mariano Rajoy has strenously denied any wrongdoing but the leader of the opposition Socialists, Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba, says he should step down now to avoid causing the Spain any further damage.
“We ask him (Rajoy) to leave the presidency of the government and to give way to another president that can restore the strength, the credibility, and the stability that our country needs,” he told reporters.
Spanish daily, El Pais, claims former Popular Party treasurer Luis Barcenas first operated the secret multi-million euro slush fund account between 1990 and 2008.
Latest polls suggest support for the centre-right ruling party is at its lowest as the scandal has provoked widespread anger and protests.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Germany’s first Syria war crimes trial opens in Frankfurt
King of Spain dissolves parliament
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Wires > News
- 22:59 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…