Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak has hinted his country was behind an air strike on a Syrian arms complex close to the Lebanese border last Wednesday.
US officials suggest the attack hit a convoy that contained weapons bound for Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Syria denies any such claims and said Israeli bombs hit a military research centre.
Danny Ayalon is the Israeli deputy foreign minister:
“Israel has the right to self-defence, we have an obligation to defend our population. Unfortunately, we are seeing a rampant radicalisation in the region and what has been called the ‘Arab Spring’ is becoming an islamist winter and much of it is attributed to the Ayatollahs in Tehran.”
In Damascus President Assad held talks with Saeed Jalili head of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council.
Assad said Israel, “in collaboration with foreign enemy forces and their agents on Syrian soil were trying to destabilise and weaken Syria.”
Syria’s ambassador to Lebanon warned that his country may take a “surprise decision to respond.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…