Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak has hinted his country was behind an air strike on a Syrian arms complex close to the Lebanese border last Wednesday.
US officials suggest the attack hit a convoy that contained weapons bound for Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Syria denies any such claims and said Israeli bombs hit a military research centre.
Danny Ayalon is the Israeli deputy foreign minister:
“Israel has the right to self-defence, we have an obligation to defend our population. Unfortunately, we are seeing a rampant radicalisation in the region and what has been called the ‘Arab Spring’ is becoming an islamist winter and much of it is attributed to the Ayatollahs in Tehran.”
In Damascus President Assad held talks with Saeed Jalili head of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council.
Assad said Israel, “in collaboration with foreign enemy forces and their agents on Syrian soil were trying to destabilise and weaken Syria.”
Syria’s ambassador to Lebanon warned that his country may take a “surprise decision to respond.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 4Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 5UN says downing of MH17 over Ukraine may constitute a ‘war crime’
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 03:23 CET Australian PM Abbott’s tough stance on MH17 paying off – poll
- 02:04 CET Police arrest four in beating death of China grad student near USC
- 01:24 CET Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola…
- 00:59 CET Iraq lays claim to Kurdish crude cargo in Texas court
- 00:16 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 23:32 CET Honduras raids mayor’s homes, finds fancy trucks, peacocks