A French high-speed train travelling from Marseille to Nice has been stopped in its tracks by a group of youths.
The gang lit flares and blocked the line forcing the driver to bring the locomotive to a halt.
The incident happened close to Bel Air to the north of Marseille, an area that poses a security concern, according to French police.
Passengers on the train described what happened:
“They weren’t armed, they had flares, little jerks, around 16 or 18 showing off with their little scooters,” said one man
“They had torches, getting cocky in their suburb, the police arrived and they disappeared,” said another.
The gang attempted to board the train to rob the 150 passengers on board and create an Internet buzz, according to authorities.
Police made ten arrests.
It is the first time that a TGV has been involved in such an incident and is a major cause for concern for the security services.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:39 CET Pakistan under pressure to save trade agenda at South Asia summit
- 03:55 CET Young sister of North Korean leader takes senior party post: KCNA
- 03:48 CET Exclusive – Japan eyes military aid to spur defence exports, build…
- 03:30 CET Special Report – How China’s shadowy agency is working to absorb…
- 02:01 CET Stigma and isolation haunt South Korean families of convicted…
- 01:57 CET Taiwan vote tests waters for pro-China government ahead of…
- 01:08 CET MPs urge EU to stop Sri Lanka trade perks if U.N. probe not given…
- 22:15 CET U.N. peacekeepers from Ukraine detained in Congo over uniforms