French warplanes have bombed fresh targets in northern Mali in their efforts to rid the country of Islamist militants.
The so-called “major” air strikes were carried out overnight in the Tessalit area north of Kidal. Military commanders describe it as the last bastion of radicals who occupied the desert north for months before France’s intervention.
The action came just hours after French President Francois Hollande ended his visit to the country where large crowds gathered to greet him.
He praised the work of French and Malian troops but warned France would withdraw its forces once Mali has restored sovereignty over its territory and a UN backed African military unit can take over.
Drawn mostly from Mali’s West African neighbours, this force is expected to number more than 8,000.
But its deployment has been badly hampered by shortages of kit and airlift capacity and
questions over who will fund estimated costs of up to a billion euros.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 3Syrian monitoring group says at least 500 killed in Aleppo offensive
- 4‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 07:03 CET Ex-Anglo Irish Bank head due back in Boston court
- 05:48 CET North Korea feels global pressure but not completely ostracised
- 03:29 CET Republicans Christie, Fiorina drop White House bids
- 00:54 CET Turkey, Greece seek NATO mission in Aegean – German official
- 00:10 CET Short of options, Sri Lanka turns back to Beijing’s embrace
- 00:07 CET Auschwitz guard, 93, stands trial in Germany
- 00:06 CET With fewer U.S. troops in Afghanistan, pressure grows for more air…
- 00:01 CET North Korea satellite not transmitting, but rocket payload a…