French warplanes have bombed fresh targets in northern Mali in their efforts to rid the country of Islamist militants.
The so-called “major” air strikes were carried out overnight in the Tessalit area north of Kidal. Military commanders describe it as the last bastion of radicals who occupied the desert north for months before France’s intervention.
The action came just hours after French President Francois Hollande ended his visit to the country where large crowds gathered to greet him.
He praised the work of French and Malian troops but warned France would withdraw its forces once Mali has restored sovereignty over its territory and a UN backed African military unit can take over.
Drawn mostly from Mali’s West African neighbours, this force is expected to number more than 8,000.
But its deployment has been badly hampered by shortages of kit and airlift capacity and
questions over who will fund estimated costs of up to a billion euros.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 21:03 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 20:31 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 20:20 CET Venezuela says ex-intelligence head arrested in Aruba
- 20:19 CET First U.N. aid convoy enters Syria without government consent
- 20:05 CET Russian court sentences opposition leaders to 4.5 years each in…
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane