Fiat looks set merge with its US subsidiary Chrysler in 2014. Group boss Sergio Marchionne made the announcement at the home of Fiat, Turin.
Marchionne remained vague on whether the company would remain at its Turin base or what the new outfit would be called, Fiat or Chrysler.
Fiat is in trouble in Europe, while in the US Chrysler is on a roll. Chrysler announced a 1.2 billion euro profit at the end of January.
While declining sales at Fiat has seen the company cut production at its Italian factories by close to 60 per cent.
To prevent any further job losses Fiat is to up Alfa Romeo and Maserati production and export them to the US and elsewhere.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 3Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 4Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 5Russian aircraft strike ‘extremist’ targets in Syria’s Aleppo province
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > News
- 04:12 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss advanced missile defence system as…
- 04:02 CET Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller ‘involuntarily removed‘…
- 03:15 CET Oregon standoff ends after 41 days with dramatic surrender
- 02:26 CET Saudi warns U.N., aid workers to leave rebel-held areas in Yemen
- 02:12 CET Beijing offers support for Hong Kong after New Year violence
- 01:26 CET U.S. Defense Department promises plan to defeat Islamic State
- 01:23 CET U.S. House seen passing North Korea sanctions bill Friday
- 01:04 CET Major powers agree on plan to break Syria deadlock