Fiat looks set merge with its US subsidiary Chrysler in 2014. Group boss Sergio Marchionne made the announcement at the home of Fiat, Turin.
Marchionne remained vague on whether the company would remain at its Turin base or what the new outfit would be called, Fiat or Chrysler.
Fiat is in trouble in Europe, while in the US Chrysler is on a roll. Chrysler announced a 1.2 billion euro profit at the end of January.
While declining sales at Fiat has seen the company cut production at its Italian factories by close to 60 per cent.
To prevent any further job losses Fiat is to up Alfa Romeo and Maserati production and export them to the US and elsewhere.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 11Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:00 CET At Greek port, migrants dream and despair in abandoned factories
- 13:39 CET Assad says army to reinforce besieged troops in northwest Syria
- 13:31 CET German Catholic Church opens labour law more to divorced and gays
- 13:25 CET German railway operator proposes mediator to resolve train strike
- 13:16 CET Khamenei says U.S. military threats against Iran endanger nuclear…
- 13:09 CET Five Ukrainian soldiers killed ahead of Minsk talks – Ukraine…
- 13:06 CET India’s Bollywood star Salman Khan gets five years for hit-and-run
- 12:51 CET Aid agencies may stop Yemen work, Houthis say raids near border…