In northern Iraq, at least 33 people have been killed and dozens more hurt in a sucide attack on the police headquarters in Kirkuk.
Authorities say two gunmen disguised as police officers drove a car packed with explosives into the building’s entrance.
After the blast, gunmen with explosive vests attacked with AK47s and grenades, but guards killed them.
It is the third major attack in several weeks in or near the northern city, an ethnically mixed area of Arabs, Kurds and Turkmen at the heart of a dispute over oil and land between Baghdad and the autonomous Kurdistan region.
Last month a suicide bomber disguised as a mourner killed at least 26 at a funeral at a Shi’ite mosque in the nearby city of Tuz Khurmato, and days earlier a suicide bomber driving a truck
killed 25 in an attack on a political party headquarters in Kirkuk.
Several armed groups are active in Kirkuk, and Sunni
Islamist insurgents tied to al Qaeda often attack security forces in an attempt to undermine
Shi’ite Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki’s government and stoke sectarian tensions.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 4Labeled as ‘Art/Craft’ a stolen Picasso worth millions is found in New York airport
- 5Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 16:13 CET Thousands protest in Maldives, calling for president to quit
- 15:59 CET Syria expels three United Nations aid workers – sources
- 15:57 CET Turkey police detain suspect claiming to have bomb outside …
- 15:53 CET UAE to reopen embassy in Yemen’s south, backing Hadi
- 15:47 CET France, Britain dismiss calls to renew relations with Syria’s Assad
- 15:45 CET Quake 6.9 strikes off Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- 15:43 CET Ukraine crisis seen softening political ground for foreign farm…
- 15:15 CET Islamic State under pressure as Kurds take Syrian town