The United Nations has promised to help rebuild Mali’s cultural heritage destroyed by Islamist militants.
As the rebels fled from French and Malian forces, they destroyed many of Timbuktu’s legendary world heritage sites.
In acts reminiscent of the Taliban in Afghanistan, Islamists had bulldozed mausoleums and burned some ancient manuscripts.
Now, Lazare Eloundou, the head of UNESCO’s Africa unit says work must be done to help Mali recover.
“UNESCO will send a mission to assess the situation and define the immediate urgent priorities, in close cooperation with the local communities who have been maintaining this site for the past thousand years.”
Although, the vast majority of Timbuktu’s
ancient manuscripts have apparently been unharmed, many vital documents and books have been torched.
Sane Chirfi, a former researcher at the Islamic Research Institute said: “There is geometry, medicine, history, geography, fairy tales.. And what’s more secret than this are the sale certificates for slaves and the expropriation certificates.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 20:27 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 20:15 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali
- 20:05 CET Guantanamo hearing halted after defence accusations of FBI spying
- 20:03 CET U.S. releases $450 million of frozen Iranian funds after …
- 19:55 CET Kosovo PM urges vote on new war crimes court but calls it insult
- 19:51 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 19:41 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 19:05 CET Church must be open to sick, homeless, pope says on Holy Thursday