Twitter says 250,000 accounts have been hacked in a major security breach.
Anonymous hackers gained access to usernames, email addresses and passwords.
Twitter’s security team say the attack was the work of professionals.
On the Friday the social networking site noticed unusual access patterns that led to accounts being compromised.
The attack on Twitter is the latest in a number of high-profile security breaches.
The Wall Street journal and the New York Times were hit in the last 14 days.
The US newspapers both claim their systems were attacked by China-based hackers.
Twitter has 200 million users worldwide.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:46 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…
- 17:36 CET Serbian opposition rallies in Belgrade demanding election recount
- 16:57 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen confirms retreat from port city of Mukalla
- 16:55 CET Taiwan DPP condemns latest deportation of Taiwanese to China
- 16:52 CET Rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at least 12 dead