Twitter says 250,000 accounts have been hacked in a major security breach.
Anonymous hackers gained access to usernames, email addresses and passwords.
Twitter’s security team say the attack was the work of professionals.
On the Friday the social networking site noticed unusual access patterns that led to accounts being compromised.
The attack on Twitter is the latest in a number of high-profile security breaches.
The Wall Street journal and the New York Times were hit in the last 14 days.
The US newspapers both claim their systems were attacked by China-based hackers.
Twitter has 200 million users worldwide.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Wires > News
- 23:01 CET Philippines president-elect says won’t rely on United States
- 23:00 CET OAS head moves to suspend Venezuela from regional group
- 22:52 CET Criminal charges possible in killing of Cincinnati gorilla
- 22:51 CET Combative Trump says he raised $5.6 million for vets, bashes media
- 22:41 CET Leader of Western Sahara independence movement dies after illness
- 22:40 CET Italy court upholds Costa Concordia captain’s 2012 shipwreck…
- 22:35 CET Far-right parties winning over some Jewish voters, top rabbi warns
- 22:27 CET U.S. warns of possible Europe attacks, no specific threat