Russia is remembering the battle of Stalingrad, 70 years after the Nazi army surrendered, turning the tide of World War Two.
President Putin held a reception at the Kremlin that included many veterans of the six month onslaught, who want the city now known as Volgograd to revert to its old name.
And for a short time, during the official ceremonies, it will be.
“We have to do everything to keep the memory of Stalingrad and its truth alive,” the president told guests. “We have to fight against the attempts of falsifying the events of World War II and against those who try to adapt the facts with politically-minded conceptions and who shamelessly erase the heroic actions of the ones who liberated the world.”
Two million people on both sides died before the surrender on February 2, 1943.
Stalingrad became a symbol of immeasurable Russian resilience and determination.
Putin would welcome some patriotic pride. He has been under fire for corruption and a lack of political freedom in Russia.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:53 CET United States, Egypt begin first strategic dialogue since 2009
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777
- 10:41 CET Grassroots mayors embody Spain’s divisions as election nears
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment