Russia is remembering the battle of Stalingrad, 70 years after the Nazi army surrendered, turning the tide of World War Two.
President Putin held a reception at the Kremlin that included many veterans of the six month onslaught, who want the city now known as Volgograd to revert to its old name.
And for a short time, during the official ceremonies, it will be.
“We have to do everything to keep the memory of Stalingrad and its truth alive,” the president told guests. “We have to fight against the attempts of falsifying the events of World War II and against those who try to adapt the facts with politically-minded conceptions and who shamelessly erase the heroic actions of the ones who liberated the world.”
Two million people on both sides died before the surrender on February 2, 1943.
Stalingrad became a symbol of immeasurable Russian resilience and determination.
Putin would welcome some patriotic pride. He has been under fire for corruption and a lack of political freedom in Russia.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 5Russian aircraft strike ‘extremist’ targets in Syria’s Aleppo province
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 02:12 CET Beijing offers support for Hong Kong after New Year violence
- 01:26 CET U.S. Defense Department promises plan to defeat Islamic State
- 01:23 CET U.S. House seen passing North Korea sanctions bill Friday
- 01:04 CET Major powers agree on plan to break Syria deadlock
- 00:01 CET Taiwan city looks at developer’s other buildings after quake…
- 23:44 CET South Korea cuts off power, water into Kaesong zone in North Korea
- 23:33 CET Uncertainty at Syria talks as Russia backs government advance
- 23:20 CET U.S. blacklists prominent Islamic State preacher, two others