The French President Francois Hollande has arrived in Mali on a one-day visit to support French troops fighting a campaign against Islamist rebels.
Hollande, accompanied by his ministers for defence, foreign affairs and development, he flew into Sevare in central Mali.
Hollande later went on to Timbuktu, the famed Saharan trading town which was recaptured from the al Qaeda-allied fighters six days ago.
The French leader is also expected to outline the next phase of the mission for the French forces, which, in a three-week intervention launched at Mali’s request, have pushed the Islamist fighters into the desert and mountains of the remote northeast.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
Photojournalist among five found dead at Mexico City apartment
Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
Israelis against recent violence in region as clashes rage in West Bank
Turkish air strikes lead Iraqi Kurds to ask PKK to leave
Wires > News
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel