The French President Francois Hollande has arrived in Mali on a one-day visit to support French troops fighting a campaign against Islamist rebels.
Hollande, accompanied by his ministers for defence, foreign affairs and development, he flew into Sevare in central Mali.
Hollande later went on to Timbuktu, the famed Saharan trading town which was recaptured from the al Qaeda-allied fighters six days ago.
The French leader is also expected to outline the next phase of the mission for the French forces, which, in a three-week intervention launched at Mali’s request, have pushed the Islamist fighters into the desert and mountains of the remote northeast.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 4Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 5Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 17:19 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed…
- 16:18 CET EU’s Ashton visits Iran for first time; nuclear issue on agenda
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt