A much loved and revered part of New York City is celebrating its centenary.
Grand Central Terminal’s marble architecture has held a unique place in the character of the Big Apple ever since it was opened on February 2, 1913.
Then, trains were the luxurious means of crossing America.
Sex in the City star Cynthia Nixon, herself a native New Yorker, told crowds at a pre-birthday celebration: “Grand Central is everything that New York is. It’s big, it’s loud, it’s functional, it’s dysfunctional, it’s crowded, it’s noisy, but it is something that New York is too that we sometime forget. It is so beautiful.”
Rail travel lost its shine after the war, and so did the station – there were even plans to demolish it. But New Yorkers would not let that happen, and it was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 20:27 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 20:15 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali
- 20:05 CET Guantanamo hearing halted after defence accusations of FBI spying
- 20:03 CET U.S. releases $450 million of frozen Iranian funds after …
- 19:55 CET Kosovo PM urges vote on new war crimes court but calls it insult
- 19:51 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 19:41 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 19:05 CET Church must be open to sick, homeless, pope says on Holy Thursday