A much loved and revered part of New York City is celebrating its centenary.
Grand Central Terminal’s marble architecture has held a unique place in the character of the Big Apple ever since it was opened on February 2, 1913.
Then, trains were the luxurious means of crossing America.
Sex in the City star Cynthia Nixon, herself a native New Yorker, told crowds at a pre-birthday celebration: “Grand Central is everything that New York is. It’s big, it’s loud, it’s functional, it’s dysfunctional, it’s crowded, it’s noisy, but it is something that New York is too that we sometime forget. It is so beautiful.”
Rail travel lost its shine after the war, and so did the station – there were even plans to demolish it. But New Yorkers would not let that happen, and it was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 20:23 CET Italy’s Berlusconi to start community service work next week
- 20:20 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani
- 19:01 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 18:50 CET Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- 18:43 CET Syrians’ plight worsens, hope for political deal fades
- 18:34 CET Mine injures peacekeeper as diplomats visit Mali’s Kidal