A much loved and revered part of New York City is celebrating its centenary.
Grand Central Terminal’s marble architecture has held a unique place in the character of the Big Apple ever since it was opened on February 2, 1913.
Then, trains were the luxurious means of crossing America.
Sex in the City star Cynthia Nixon, herself a native New Yorker, told crowds at a pre-birthday celebration: “Grand Central is everything that New York is. It’s big, it’s loud, it’s functional, it’s dysfunctional, it’s crowded, it’s noisy, but it is something that New York is too that we sometime forget. It is so beautiful.”
Rail travel lost its shine after the war, and so did the station – there were even plans to demolish it. But New Yorkers would not let that happen, and it was designated a National Historic Landmark.
- 1Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 4Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 5Suspect in French beheading attack admits killing his boss
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 15:27 CET China says tourists attacked in Turkey during anti-China protests
- 15:26 CET Lebanese Hezbollah, Syrian army enter rebel-held border city
- 14:23 CET Malaysia’s opposition demands emergency debate on PM after graft…
- 13:16 CET Islamic State suicide bombers strike in Iraqi refinery town
- 12:57 CET Landmine kills five Ukrainian soldiers in separatist east
- 11:30 CET Iran deploys new home-built long-range radar
- 11:00 CET Malaysia’s opposition demands emergency debate on PM after graft…
- 08:12 CET China arrests man for suicide ‘rumours’ amid stock market rout -…