They are rolling out the red carpet for the French president in Mali.
Francois Hollande is heading for the west African country where 3,500 French troops are spearheading an offensive to drive out Islamist rebels linked to al-Qaeda.
The Malian government had appealed for urgent assistance against a rebel push south towards the capital.
Ibrahim Traore, a street vendor in Bamako, said: “I am very, very happy. He got us out of a very tricky situation. You cannot imagine how grateful to Francois Hollande we are.”
Two human rights groups have accused Malian government troops of summary executions in the north of the country, and similar atrocities by armed Islamist groups.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
Brazil carnival opens, amid growing Zika fears
At least five dead as powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Former soldier stoned to death in Haiti clashes
Syrians flee to Turkish border as government forces close in on Aleppo
Ten-day-old baby among dead after powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Wires > News
- 08:26 CET Al Qaeda mourns death of top commander in Yemen
- 07:56 CET Efforts to revive Afghan peace talks continue in Pakistan
- 07:06 CET As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- 06:30 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment building, at least five dead
- 05:25 CET China faces diplomatic ‘crisis’ over missing Hong Kong booksellers
- 03:51 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 03:21 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse