Francois Hollande has been hailed as a hero during his one-day visit to Mali.
The French president pledged his sustained support for the west African country’s efforts to expel Islamist militants.
Shortly after touching down, Hollande set about meeting some of the French forces engaged in the fight.
Alongside Mali’s interim president, Dioncounda Traore, he praised French and Malian soliders but warned the “combat is not over.”
In Timbuktu, Hollande was mobbed by people eager to thank him personally for giving France’s support.
“We are proud. God thank France. France has saved the all word, not only Mali. François Hollande did well because thanks to him, we are free again,” said one man among the thousands who turned out.
Timbuktu residents rejoiced at being freed from the severe version of Islamic law imposed by the rebels.
Before leaving, Hollande visited the Djingarei-ber or Grand Mosque and the Ahmed Baba Institute, a library of ancient manuscripts that was ransacked by the rebels.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 5How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
World Bank looks for backers for $16B plan for Africa to adapt to climate change
COP21: The Heat is On, Leaders Due Monday, Protests Banned
Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
Nigeria: Suicide attack on Shi’ite pilgrims ‘kills 21’
Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
Wires > News
- 19:47 CET U.S.‘s Biden, Italy’s Renzi discuss fight against Islamic State -…
- 19:36 CET Ringleader of Paris attacks planned more strikes, mocked open…
- 19:09 CET Refugee crisis resurrects German anti-immigration party
- 19:02 CET Carbon prices – work in progress, not panacea, for rich and poor
- 18:55 CET Burundi’s top opposition leader Rwasa says fears for his life
- 18:54 CET EU, Turkey driving hard bargain before migration summit
- 18:50 CET Two Palestinians ram cars into Israeli soldiers, shot dead
- 18:39 CET Venezuela lashes U.S., opposition amid blame over activist’s…