Francois Hollande has been hailed as a hero during his one-day visit to Mali.
The French president pledged his sustained support for the west African country’s efforts to expel Islamist militants.
Shortly after touching down, Hollande set about meeting some of the French forces engaged in the fight.
Alongside Mali’s interim president, Dioncounda Traore, he praised French and Malian soliders but warned the “combat is not over.”
In Timbuktu, Hollande was mobbed by people eager to thank him personally for giving France’s support.
“We are proud. God thank France. France has saved the all word, not only Mali. François Hollande did well because thanks to him, we are free again,” said one man among the thousands who turned out.
Timbuktu residents rejoiced at being freed from the severe version of Islamic law imposed by the rebels.
Before leaving, Hollande visited the Djingarei-ber or Grand Mosque and the Ahmed Baba Institute, a library of ancient manuscripts that was ransacked by the rebels.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:36 CET Hagel resigns as U.S. Defense secretary
- 18:27 CET Turkey, U.S. ease strains on Islamic State but differences remain
- 18:23 CET ‘Handful’ of Libyan troops claim asylum in UK after training -…
- 18:11 CET Britain says it is reviewing arms exports to Israel again
- 18:04 CET Turkish president rounds on feminists, says men and women not equal
- 17:38 CET Putin strengthens ties with Georgia breakaway region; Tbilisi…
- 17:23 CET Government caveat threatens Hungary’s private pension schemes -…
- 17:13 CET Unidentified jet targets airport in Libya’s Tripoli – witnesses