A video showing a group of Egyptian riot police beating a naked man with batons has fired outrage in the country off the scale.
The last eight days have been the bloodiest since President Mohammed Mursi came to power with close to 60 people being killed following unrest in a number of cities.
Political instability and street protests threaten to make the most populous Arab state ungovernable.
The victim of the brutality, Hamada Saber, is said to be recovering from his injuries in a police hospital.
The president’s office released a statement announcing an investigation into the beating.
There is anger on the streets of Cairo:
“This is against humanity, nobody accepts it. The officers who carried out the beating may one see a member of his family beaten in the same way. We condemn what happened even if the victim was thief or a thug,” said one man.
The main opposition coalition has called for an end to the regime and want Mursi to stand trial.
Opponents of the president claim he ordered the crackdown like that carried out by Hosni Mubarak during the uprising that forced him from office.
The latest wave of violence was triggered by the second anniversary of the fall of Mubarak and the death sentences handed down in Port Said over a riot at a football stadium that left 70 people dead.
- 1Nepal: more than 1,100 people killed in powerful earthquake
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Indonesia: Seven drug convicts will be executed in days
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:30 CET Russian hackers read Obama’s unclassified emails last year – NYT
- 01:23 CET FBI investigating possible Islamic State terrorism plot in U.S. -…
- 01:08 CET Nepal seeks help, death toll seen rising after devastating quake
- 00:33 CET Two Swedes abducted by Nusfra Front in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 23:31 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…
- 20:18 CET Germany says will deny entry to some Russian Night Wolves bikers