02/02/13 17:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A video showing a group of Egyptian riot police beating a naked man with batons has fired outrage in the country off the scale.
The last eight days have been the bloodiest since President Mohammed Mursi came to power with close to 60 people being killed following unrest in a number of cities.
Political instability and street protests threaten to make the most populous Arab state ungovernable.
The victim of the brutality, Hamada Saber, is said to be recovering from his injuries in a police hospital.
The president’s office released a statement announcing an investigation into the beating.
There is anger on the streets of Cairo:
“This is against humanity, nobody accepts it. The officers who carried out the beating may one see a member of his family beaten in the same way. We condemn what happened even if the victim was thief or a thug,” said one man.
The main opposition coalition has called for an end to the regime and want Mursi to stand trial.
Opponents of the president claim he ordered the crackdown like that carried out by Hosni Mubarak during the uprising that forced him from office.
The latest wave of violence was triggered by the second anniversary of the fall of Mubarak and the death sentences handed down in Port Said over a riot at a football stadium that left 70 people dead.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 15:46 CET U.S. Joint Base Andrews on lockdown over active shooter report
- 15:32 CET Belize tanker with five Russians among crew detained off Libya
- 15:17 CET Istanbul airport bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz – Turkish…
- 15:12 CET U.S. downgrades Myanmar, raises Thailand in human trafficking…
- 15:08 CET Saudi Arabia to introduce hi-tech bracelets in haj safety push
- 14:12 CET Taliban suicide bombers kill 27 in attack on Afghan police cadets
- 14:09 CET Charges against Myanmar’s ‘Saffron Revolution’ leader pile up
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…