02/02/13 01:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A day after Egypt’s rival political groups renounced violence a man was shot dead in continuing clashes in Cairo.
Protesters demanding the overthrow of Mohamed Mursi set about the presidential palace with petrol bombs and fireworks.
They were met with water-cannon, tear-gas and deadly small arms fire.
The second anniversary of Hosni Mubarak’s overthrow has erupted into the bloodiest week of his successor’s seven months in power.
Almost 60 people have died across the country.
Mursi’s opponents have posted pictures of the violence online with comments saying: “It’s as if the revolution never happened.”
Many protesters feel he has betrayed the spirit of the revolution by hijacking power and influence for himself and the Muslim Brotherhood at the expense of non-Islamist and secular groups.
The growing chasms between differing parts of Egyptian society has made the country virtually ungovernable.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Andy Murray joins Federer in not staying at Rio Olympic Village
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’