A day after Egypt’s rival political groups renounced violence a man was shot dead in continuing clashes in Cairo.
Protesters demanding the overthrow of Mohamed Mursi set about the presidential palace with petrol bombs and fireworks.
They were met with water-cannon, tear-gas and deadly small arms fire.
The second anniversary of Hosni Mubarak’s overthrow has erupted into the bloodiest week of his successor’s seven months in power.
Almost 60 people have died across the country.
Mursi’s opponents have posted pictures of the violence online with comments saying: “It’s as if the revolution never happened.”
Many protesters feel he has betrayed the spirit of the revolution by hijacking power and influence for himself and the Muslim Brotherhood at the expense of non-Islamist and secular groups.
The growing chasms between differing parts of Egyptian society has made the country virtually ungovernable.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 16:29 CET Philippine rebels kill most wanted Islamist militant in south
- 15:43 CET German prosecutors launch investigation of spying charges
- 15:31 CET Madagascar leader says ends house arrest of ex-president
- 14:52 CET Kerry in Kenya to offer help against militants – officials
- 13:19 CET Gunmen kidnap seven Pakistani police in Punjab attack
- 12:55 CET Saudi-led alliance hits airbase in Yemen’s Sanaa – residents
- 12:50 CET Austria wants refugee quota for each EU member to help absorb…
- 11:11 CET Former deputy’s graft sentence casts shadow on Iran’s Ahmadinejad