A day after Egypt’s rival political groups renounced violence a man was shot dead in continuing clashes in Cairo.
Protesters demanding the overthrow of Mohamed Mursi set about the presidential palace with petrol bombs and fireworks.
They were met with water-cannon, tear-gas and deadly small arms fire.
The second anniversary of Hosni Mubarak’s overthrow has erupted into the bloodiest week of his successor’s seven months in power.
Almost 60 people have died across the country.
Mursi’s opponents have posted pictures of the violence online with comments saying: “It’s as if the revolution never happened.”
Many protesters feel he has betrayed the spirit of the revolution by hijacking power and influence for himself and the Muslim Brotherhood at the expense of non-Islamist and secular groups.
The growing chasms between differing parts of Egyptian society has made the country virtually ungovernable.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:04 CET Saudi Arabia says Islamic State ordered attack on Shi’ites in…
- 20:20 CET U.N. to miss December 1 Ebola target due to rising Sierra Leone…
- 20:19 CET Baghdad car bomb kills eight people, fighting west of capital
- 20:15 CET Hagel, under pressure, resigns as U.S. defence secretary
- 20:11 CET Role of U.S. troops in Afghanistan to shift to training -White…
- 19:39 CET Suspected Boko Haram militants attack Nigerian border town
- 19:28 CET Women City centres bring hope to El Salvador’s abused women
- 18:27 CET Turkey, U.S. ease strains on Islamic State but differences remain