A day after Egypt’s rival political groups renounced violence a man was shot dead in continuing clashes in Cairo.
Protesters demanding the overthrow of Mohamed Mursi set about the presidential palace with petrol bombs and fireworks.
They were met with water-cannon, tear-gas and deadly small arms fire.
The second anniversary of Hosni Mubarak’s overthrow has erupted into the bloodiest week of his successor’s seven months in power.
Almost 60 people have died across the country.
Mursi’s opponents have posted pictures of the violence online with comments saying: “It’s as if the revolution never happened.”
Many protesters feel he has betrayed the spirit of the revolution by hijacking power and influence for himself and the Muslim Brotherhood at the expense of non-Islamist and secular groups.
The growing chasms between differing parts of Egyptian society has made the country virtually ungovernable.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 16Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 07:27 CET U.S.‘s Kerry, Iran’s Zarif to meet at U.N. anti-nuclear arms…
- 07:21 CET Insight – Pakistan military’s move on Karachi seen part of…
- 07:16 CET ASEAN draft statement says South China Sea land reclamation risks…
- 06:49 CET Kazakh veteran leader Nazarbayev wins new term by a landslide
- 06:48 CET Desperate Nepalis flee capital as aftershocks spread fear
- 06:14 CET U.S., Japan to unveil new defence guidelines amid China’s rise
- 06:11 CET Corruption allegations raise doubts about Indonesian trials of…
- 23:26 CET U.S. Secretary of State Kerry to meet with Iran foreign minister…