Hillary Clinton has said an emotional goodbye to staff at the State Department before standing down as the face and the voice of US foreign policy around the world.
After four years in the job she said she was more optimistic than at the start, and she believes the world is a safer place than it was then.
“I am very proud to have been Secretary of State. I will miss you. I will probably be dialling ops (operations) just to talk,” she told state department staff in Washington.
Clinton was America’s third woman to head the State Department. Taking her place is the Massachussetts Democrat John Kerry, who was sworn in on Friday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Mali: no survivors found in wreckage of Algerian flight
- 3‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 4Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 5Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 08:50 CET Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 08:46 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.