Hillary Clinton has said an emotional goodbye to staff at the State Department before standing down as the face and the voice of US foreign policy around the world.
After four years in the job she said she was more optimistic than at the start, and she believes the world is a safer place than it was then.
“I am very proud to have been Secretary of State. I will miss you. I will probably be dialling ops (operations) just to talk,” she told state department staff in Washington.
Clinton was America’s third woman to head the State Department. Taking her place is the Massachussetts Democrat John Kerry, who was sworn in on Friday.
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 16:26 CET Lebanon’s interior minister warns protesters against sit-ins
- 15:30 CET Farmers head hundreds of tractors for Paris in protest
- 15:22 CET Hundreds of migrants protest at Budapest station, want to go to…
- 15:15 CET Sixty-one infants die at Indian hospital in just two weeks
- 15:03 CET Russia says will respond in kind to new U.S. sanctions over Ukraine
- 14:59 CET Car bomb in coastal stronghold of Syria’s Assad kills at least 10…
- 14:50 CET Netanyahu threatens to shoot young Palestinian stone-throwers
- 14:47 CET Labour appointment puts French women ministers in majority